Fort Lauderdale CF Draws Forward Madison FC 2-2
Fort Lauderdale CF drew 2-2 against Forward Madison FC at home in its second to last regular season matchup. Midfielders Eduardo Sosa and Dairon Reyes scored the team's goals in the match. The USL League One game at Inter Miami CF Stadium kicked off at 4 p.m. ET and aired live on ESPN+.
The first half saw Fort Lauderdale deliver a strong performance defensively to neutralize Forward Madison's opportunities on the offensive end. The team also generated several scoring chances in the final stages of the first 45 minutes and was able to break the deadlock in the 38th minute. 16-year-old winger Edison Azcona delivered a low cross from the left side of the pitch that was slapped away by the opposition's goalkeeper into the middle of the box. Midfielder Sosa then quickly reacted to take advantage of the rebound, sliding in to make contact with the ball with his right foot and send it to the back of the net to score his third goal of the campaign and give Fort Lauderdale a 1-0 lead.
In the second half, Fort Lauderdale picked up where it left off and was able to extend its lead in the 67th minute; Sosa started the play with a pass into space to free up Azcona down the left wing, who showcased nifty footwork before cutting into his right and handing off the ball to 17-year-old forward Dairon Reyes, who had come off the bench in the 54th minute to replace 15-year-old winger Felipe Valencia, on the right side of the box. Reyes then delivered a right footed strike that beat the keeper to put 2-0 on the board for Fort Lauderdale. It was Azcona's third assist of the season and Reyes' first goal; both players are Inter Miami CF Academy products.
Forward Madison bounced back in the remaining minutes and was able to get back into the match with goals by winger Paulo Jr. in the 73rd minute and defender Christian DÃaz in the 85th minute. In the end, the game finished in a 2-2 stalemate.
Fort Lauderdale CF will close its inaugural season in USL League One with its final regular season matchup when it travels to face Union Omaha at 8 p.m. ET on Saturday, Oct. 24.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 14, 2020
- Sporting Controversially Denied Late Equalizer in 1-0 Loss at Dallas - Sporting Kansas City
- D.C. United Draw the Philadelphia Union 2-2 at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Inter Miami CF Draws Atlanta United FC 1-1 - Inter Miami CF
- FC Dallas Earns Shutout in 1-0 Win against Sporting Kansas City - FC Dallas
- Dynamo Fall to Nashville SC 3-1 - Houston Dynamo
- Nick Hagglund's game-winning goal lifts the Orange and Blue over Columbus - FC Cincinnati
- Mueller Scores Eighth of the Year in Lions' 1-1 Draw to NYCFC - Orlando City SC
- Philadelphia Union Draw D.C. United - Philadelphia Union
- Atlanta United Picks up Crucial Point in 1-1 Draw at Inter Miami CF - Atlanta United FC
- Toronto FC (1) - New York Red Bulls (1) Post Match Summary - Toronto FC
- Impact Felled by Revolution - Montreal Impact
- Notes & Quotes: Orlando City SC 1 - 1 New York City FC - New York City FC
- Revolution Defeat Montreal Impact, 3-2 - New England Revolution
- Red Bulls Blank Atlanta United Again, 1-0, in 2020 - New York Red Bulls
- Fort Lauderdale CF Draws Forward Madison FC 2-2 - Inter Miami CF
- Minnesota United vs. Chicago Fire FC Match Postponed - MLS
- MLS Announces Postponement of Tonight's Chicago Fire FC at Minnesota United FC Match - Chicago Fire
- Minnesota United Match Versus Chicago Fire Postponed - Minnesota United FC
- Clement Diop Returns to France for Personal Reasons - Montreal Impact
- Club Statement on Fairgrounds Stadium Ruling - Nashville SC
- RAVE Foundation Celebrates Opening of New Mini Pitch at Valley View Early Learning Center in SeaTac this Friday and Previews Sounders FC VOTE Tour - Seattle Sounders FC
- Timbers Travel to Face Real Salt Lake Tonight at Rio Tinto Stadium - Portland Timbers
- Saphir Taider Transferred to Saudi Club Al Ain FC - Montreal Impact
- Higuain Brothers Become Latest to Feature on Same MLS Club: MLS Week 18 News & Notes - MLS
- LAFC Acquires 26-year-old Defender Jesus David Murillo - Los Angeles FC
- Storylines: City vs. NYCFC - Orlando City SC
- FC Cincinnati Sign Goalkeeper Beckham Sunderland as a Homegrown Player - FC Cincinnati
- Toronto FC Sign Ralph Priso - Toronto FC
- Matchday Guide: Inter Miami CF vs. Atlanta United FC - Inter Miami CF
- Delaware County and Philadelphia Union Host 3-Day Voter Service Center at Subaru Park - Philadelphia Union
- Free Flu Shots Offered Saturday, October 17 at Exposition Park Drive-Thru Flu Shot Clinic - Los Angeles FC
- Columbus Crew SC Travels to Face FC Cincinnati Tonight - Columbus Crew SC
- Minnesota United FC vs. Chicago Fire FC Preview - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Inter Miami CF Stories
- Kicking off Year Two with Inter Miami CF Academy Presented by Baptist Health
- Alonso and DeLaGarza Thank Fans for Support Throughout Inaugural Season
- Inter Miami CF Closes Inaugural Season with Road Playoff Loss
- Diego Alonso and Wil Trapp Ready for the Challenge
- International Duty: Pizarro Featured for Mexico, May Rejoin Club for Playoff Match