Storylines: City vs. NYCFC
Facing the Pigeons
The Lions are currently riding a four-game unbeaten streak across all competitions against their 2015 expansion rivals, the latest result coming in a 3-1 victory in the group stage at the MLS is Back Tournament. Chris Mueller scored the fastest brace in Club history in that match, giving the Lions an early two-goal lead with finishes in the fourth and 10th minutes, respectively. Tesho Akindele would add the insurance for the Lions in the 81st minute, the goal that eventually led them to clinching the top spot in Group A on goal-differential in the tournament.
Last Time at Exploria Stadium
In NYCFC's last visit to downtown Orlando on July 10, 2019, the Lions defeated the Pigeons via a penalty shootout in the Quarterfinals of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup. Punching their ticket to the Semifinals of the nation's oldest cup competition for the first time in Club history, the match included the famous Running of the Wall, as well as a game-winning save from former City goalkeeper Adam Grinwis on Maxime Chanot's penalty attempt to seal the victory for the Lions.
In Between the Sticks
Goalkeeper Brian Rowe made his first start of 2020 on Wednesday at Atlanta, with Pedro Gallese currently on international duty. Rowe recorded three saves in the match to earn his first clean sheet of the season, now with eight shutouts on his resume as a Lion. Joining the Lions ahead of the 2019 season, Rowe appeared in 32 matches last season, registering 110 saves and seven clean sheets to help the Lions tie a Club-record for shutouts through the campaign.
Changing Faces, Not Results
Head Coach Oscar Pareja made four changes to his starting XI on Wednesday night, with Brian Rowe, Joey DeZart, Robinho and Benji Michel entering the fold. The start served as the first of DeZart's professional career and the first for Rowe in 2020, while just the second for Robinho. Pareja has now utilized 21 different players in starting roles throughout the Lions current 10-game unbeaten run, with 23 total players recording an appearance.
In six matches at Exploria Stadium this season, the Lions hold a 4-0-2 record, with victories over Nashville SC, Inter Miami CF, Chicago Fire FC and the New York Red Bulls. In those fixtures, City holds a +8 goal-differential, scoring 13 goals while allowing only five. The Lions have yet to concede multiple times in a single match at home. Seven different members of the squad have found the back of the net at Exploria this season in Chris Mueller, Nani, Daryl Dike, Mauricio Pereyra, Benji Michel, JÃºnior Urso and Antonio Carlos.|
Moving Up the Ranks
Lions' Head Coach Oscar Pareja is one win away from moving up a spot in the MLS All-Time Coaching Wins list, currently sitting in 10th on the list at 111 career victories. With a win on Sunday, Pareja would tie long-time New England Revolution boss Steve Nicol (112) and move one away from tying former D.C. United Head Coach Ben Olsen, who sits at eighth with 113. The Lions' currently sit tied for the third-most wins in the league this season with eight on their resume.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 14, 2020
- Sporting Controversially Denied Late Equalizer in 1-0 Loss at Dallas - Sporting Kansas City
- D.C. United Draw the Philadelphia Union 2-2 at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Inter Miami CF Draws Atlanta United FC 1-1 - Inter Miami CF
- FC Dallas Earns Shutout in 1-0 Win against Sporting Kansas City - FC Dallas
- Dynamo Fall to Nashville SC 3-1 - Houston Dynamo
- Nick Hagglund's game-winning goal lifts the Orange and Blue over Columbus - FC Cincinnati
- Mueller Scores Eighth of the Year in Lions' 1-1 Draw to NYCFC - Orlando City SC
- Philadelphia Union Draw D.C. United - Philadelphia Union
- Atlanta United Picks up Crucial Point in 1-1 Draw at Inter Miami CF - Atlanta United FC
- Toronto FC (1) - New York Red Bulls (1) Post Match Summary - Toronto FC
- Impact Felled by Revolution - Club de Foot Montreal
- Notes & Quotes: Orlando City SC 1 - 1 New York City FC - New York City FC
- Revolution Defeat Montreal Impact, 3-2 - New England Revolution
- Red Bulls Blank Atlanta United Again, 1-0, in 2020 - New York Red Bulls
- Fort Lauderdale CF Draws Forward Madison FC 2-2 - Inter Miami CF
- Minnesota United vs. Chicago Fire FC Match Postponed - MLS
- MLS Announces Postponement of Tonight's Chicago Fire FC at Minnesota United FC Match - Chicago Fire
- Minnesota United Match Versus Chicago Fire Postponed - Minnesota United FC
- Clement Diop Returns to France for Personal Reasons - Club de Foot Montreal
- Club Statement on Fairgrounds Stadium Ruling - Nashville SC
- RAVE Foundation Celebrates Opening of New Mini Pitch at Valley View Early Learning Center in SeaTac this Friday and Previews Sounders FC VOTE Tour - Seattle Sounders FC
- Timbers Travel to Face Real Salt Lake Tonight at Rio Tinto Stadium - Portland Timbers
- Saphir Taider Transferred to Saudi Club Al Ain FC - Club de Foot Montreal
- Higuain Brothers Become Latest to Feature on Same MLS Club: MLS Week 18 News & Notes - MLS
- LAFC Acquires 26-year-old Defender Jesus David Murillo - Los Angeles FC
- Storylines: City vs. NYCFC - Orlando City SC
- FC Cincinnati Sign Goalkeeper Beckham Sunderland as a Homegrown Player - FC Cincinnati
- Toronto FC Sign Ralph Priso - Toronto FC
- Matchday Guide: Inter Miami CF vs. Atlanta United FC - Inter Miami CF
- Delaware County and Philadelphia Union Host 3-Day Voter Service Center at Subaru Park - Philadelphia Union
- Free Flu Shots Offered Saturday, October 17 at Exposition Park Drive-Thru Flu Shot Clinic - Los Angeles FC
- Columbus Crew SC Travels to Face FC Cincinnati Tonight - Columbus Crew SC
- Minnesota United FC vs. Chicago Fire FC Preview - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando City SC Stories
- 2021 NWSL Challenge Cup Set to be Played in Home Markets; Kickoff Scheduled for April 9
- Exploria Stadium to Host 2022 Special Olympics Opening Ceremony
- Orlando City SC Expands Youth Soccer Commitment and Opportunities with the Launch of New Youth Soccer Network
- Orlando City SC Acquires American Goalkeeper Brandon Austin
- Orlando City Selects Forward Derek Dodson in 2021 MLS SuperDraft