Inter Miami CF Draws Atlanta United FC 1-1
Inter Miami CF extended its unbeaten streak to three with a 1-1 draw with Atlanta United FC at Inter Miami CF Stadium. Brek Shea scored his third goal of the season and Lewis Morgan registered his team-high sixth assist.
"It's difficult to play better than we did today. I think that this is how we've been playing for several matches and when you lose your concentration for a moment after playing such a good match, it's difficult to explain. If I'm not mistaken we took  shots compared to three from them, it's a big difference and it should've been bigger on the scoreboard," said manager Diego Alonso. "The frustration is to be expected for not being able to get a win after playing a match in which you clearly deserve one, but we have to keep our heads high, have confidence in the players and believe."
Inter Miami dominated most of the match, finished the night with 21 shots (six on target) compared to three (one on target) from Atlanta, and controlled 55% possession but was unable to get the three points.
The Club opened the match on the front foot, creating chances in the early going. In the 6th minute, Morgan collected a pass from Dylan Nealis and made a surging run down the middle of the pitch before playing a pass out wide to Gonzalo HiguaÃn. The striker fired a shot toward the back post that was saved and struck a close range follow-up effort that was also saved.
A few more chances fell HiguaÃn's way in the following moments. In the 14th minute, a loose ball found Nealis down the right wing, who cut a square pass to HiguaÃn at the top of the box; his shot was heading towards goal before being deflected by an Atlanta defender and falling just over the bar. In the 24th minute, Wil Trapp drew a foul just outside the box in the middle of the field; a free kick routine set up by MatÃas Pellegrini freed up HiguaÃn for a shot that was deflected and went just wide of the post.
The match entered halftime scoreless with the hosts creating the bulk of the attacking threat, finishing the half with 11 shots to zero from Atlanta.
Inter Miami opened the second half on the front foot once again, led by the team's leading scorer and provider Morgan. The Scottish winger created a number of chances, including a free kick that went just off the mark in the 48th minute, a cross to Pellegrini at the back post in the 54th minute that resulted in a shot that went over the bar, and a header in the 67th minute that went over the bar.
Morgan played a pivotal role in finding the breakthrough goal in the 80th minute, driving down the right wing and delivering a pinpoint cross to Shea at the back post, who cleanly connected with the ball and slid a shot into the back of the net to make it 1-0. The goal was Shea's third of the season and the assist was Morgan's sixth.
In the 83rd minute, however, Atlanta found an equalizing goal with just their first shot on target of the night. Jürgen Damm played a pass across the face of goal to Jake Mulraney who turned it into the back of the net to make it 1-1.
In the 87th minute, Inter Miami brought on its newest signing Federico HiguaÃn for his Club debut to help find a winning goal. The team, however, didn't find a breakthrough and the match ended 1-1.
Inter Miami will travel to New York to face the Montreal Impact for the first time on Saturday, Oct. 17, at 7 p.m. ET.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 14, 2020
- Sporting Controversially Denied Late Equalizer in 1-0 Loss at Dallas - Sporting Kansas City
- D.C. United Draw the Philadelphia Union 2-2 at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Inter Miami CF Draws Atlanta United FC 1-1 - Inter Miami CF
- FC Dallas Earns Shutout in 1-0 Win against Sporting Kansas City - FC Dallas
- Dynamo Fall to Nashville SC 3-1 - Houston Dynamo
- Nick Hagglund's game-winning goal lifts the Orange and Blue over Columbus - FC Cincinnati
- Mueller Scores Eighth of the Year in Lions' 1-1 Draw to NYCFC - Orlando City SC
- Philadelphia Union Draw D.C. United - Philadelphia Union
- Atlanta United Picks up Crucial Point in 1-1 Draw at Inter Miami CF - Atlanta United FC
- Toronto FC (1) - New York Red Bulls (1) Post Match Summary - Toronto FC
- Impact Felled by Revolution - Club de Foot Montreal
- Notes & Quotes: Orlando City SC 1 - 1 New York City FC - New York City FC
- Revolution Defeat Montreal Impact, 3-2 - New England Revolution
- Red Bulls Blank Atlanta United Again, 1-0, in 2020 - New York Red Bulls
- Fort Lauderdale CF Draws Forward Madison FC 2-2 - Inter Miami CF
- Minnesota United vs. Chicago Fire FC Match Postponed - MLS
- MLS Announces Postponement of Tonight's Chicago Fire FC at Minnesota United FC Match - Chicago Fire
- Minnesota United Match Versus Chicago Fire Postponed - Minnesota United FC
- Clement Diop Returns to France for Personal Reasons - Club de Foot Montreal
- Club Statement on Fairgrounds Stadium Ruling - Nashville SC
- RAVE Foundation Celebrates Opening of New Mini Pitch at Valley View Early Learning Center in SeaTac this Friday and Previews Sounders FC VOTE Tour - Seattle Sounders FC
- Timbers Travel to Face Real Salt Lake Tonight at Rio Tinto Stadium - Portland Timbers
- Saphir Taider Transferred to Saudi Club Al Ain FC - Club de Foot Montreal
- Higuain Brothers Become Latest to Feature on Same MLS Club: MLS Week 18 News & Notes - MLS
- LAFC Acquires 26-year-old Defender Jesus David Murillo - Los Angeles FC
- Storylines: City vs. NYCFC - Orlando City SC
- FC Cincinnati Sign Goalkeeper Beckham Sunderland as a Homegrown Player - FC Cincinnati
- Toronto FC Sign Ralph Priso - Toronto FC
- Matchday Guide: Inter Miami CF vs. Atlanta United FC - Inter Miami CF
- Delaware County and Philadelphia Union Host 3-Day Voter Service Center at Subaru Park - Philadelphia Union
- Free Flu Shots Offered Saturday, October 17 at Exposition Park Drive-Thru Flu Shot Clinic - Los Angeles FC
- Columbus Crew SC Travels to Face FC Cincinnati Tonight - Columbus Crew SC
- Minnesota United FC vs. Chicago Fire FC Preview - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.