Atlanta United Acquires Dion Pereira
ATLANTA - Atlanta United announced today it has signed midfielder Dion Pereira via transfer from Watford. The 19-year-old joins Atlanta following 10 years within English Premier League side Watford's system and will be added to the roster pending the receipt of his International Transfer Certificate (ITC) and P-1 Visa. Pereira made two appearances with Watford's first team in 2017 and has also featured regularly for the club's U-23 team. Pereira
"We're pleased to welcome Dion to the club and look forward to him joining the squad as we head into the 2019 season," Atlanta United Vice President and Technical Director Carlos Bocanegra said. "We identified him as a young, technical player who we believe will adapt well to Atlanta United and MLS."
Pereira joined Watford at the U-9 level and progressed within the club to make his Premier League debut on May 6, 2017 against Leicester City. He earned his second appearance on the final day of the season against Manchester City, and was named Watford's Young Player of the Season for 2016-2017. Pereira has spent the last three seasons playing primarily for Watford's U-23 team in the Professional Development League.
During the 2016-17 season he made 16 starts and 21 appearances and scored one goal. Pereira had a breakout year in 2017-18, as he started 27 of his 28 appearances and scored 13 goals. This season, he made eight starts in nine appearances before completing the move to join Atlanta for preseason.
Name: Dion Pereira
Birthdate: March 25, 1999 (age: 19)
Birthplace: Watford, England
Nationality: England, Portugal
Transaction: Atlanta United signed Dion Pereira via transfer from Watford on Jan. 15, 2019.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 15, 2019
- Austin FC to Begin Play in MLS in 2021 - MLS
- LAFC and Defender Walker Zimmerman Agree to New Multi-Year Contract - Los Angeles FC
- LA Galaxy Re-Sign Defender Rolf Feltscher - LA Galaxy
- Earthquakes Head Coach Matias Almeyda Named CONCACAF Coach of the Year - San Jose Earthquakes
- Colorado Rapids Signs Matt Hundley and Sam Raben as Homegrown Players - Colorado Rapids
- New England Revolution Announce Changes to Technical Staff - New England Revolution
- New York Red Bulls Open Preseason Camp Ahead of Champions League Return - New York Red Bulls
- Real Salt Lake Announces Full 2019 Preseason Schedule - Real Salt Lake
- Sounders FC Signs Goalkeeper Trey Muse as Homegrown Player - Seattle Sounders FC
- Atlanta United Acquires Dion Pereira - Atlanta United FC
- Timbers Set to Travel to Costa Rica, Tucson for 2019 Preseason Presented by Old Trapper - Portland Timbers
- Orlando City Stadium Set to Host Orlando City Invitational During Preseason - Orlando City SC
- Lions Open 2019 Preseason with Inaugural Orlando City Invitational - Orlando City SC
- Revolution to Compete in Inaugural Orlando City Invitational Preseason Tournament - New England Revolution
- New York City FC Announce Preseason Friendly Matches in Orlando - New York City FC
- Minnesota United Announces 2019 Preseason Schedule - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Nashville SC
- Atlanta United Partners with Georgia Soccer to Deliver Community Clinics Through Innovate to Grow Fund
- Atlanta United Defeats FC Motagua 3-0 in Leg Two of 2020 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. FC Motagua
- Atlanta United Draws FC Motagua 1-1 in Leg One of 2020 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League