Colorado Rapids Signs Matt Hundley and Sam Raben as Homegrown Players
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. - Colorado Rapids Soccer Club announced today the signings of two Colorado natives who will become the ninth and tenth development academy players to sign first team contracts with the Rapids. The Rapids signed both 21-year-old defender Sam Raben and 18-year-old forward Matt Hundley to guaranteed contracts.
"Today we take another step forward with the signings of Colorado natives Sam Raben and Matt Hundley," said Colorado Rapids' Executive Vice President and General Manager Pádraig Smith. "With the support of their families and our academy coaches both of these young men take the next step in their professional careers."
Raben, has represented the Rapids Development Academy at the U-18/19 level. The Greenwood Village-born Raben was a member of the Rapids' U-23 team in the Premier Development League (PDL) during the 2017 and 2018 seasons. In college, Raben made 91 starts for Wake Forest, tied for third most in program history, helping his team to 46 clean sheets during that time.
Hundley, from Littleton, Colorado, has featured for the Rapids' U-18/19 Development Academy team. The talented striker concluded his freshman year at UCLA with 19 appearances, 14 from the start. He led the team in scoring with five goals and contributed seven assists. Hundley has been a part of the U-17 and U-19 US national teams and is part of this month's U-19 youth national team January camp.
The Rapids will officially welcome Sam and Matt to the club at a press event on Tuesday at DICK'S Sporting Goods Park. Stay tuned to ColoradoRapids.com and the Rapids social channels for the latest information.
TRANSACTION: Colorado Rapids - January 11, 2019 - Rapids sign forward Matt Hundley to a four-year contract and defender Sam Raben to a one-year contract. Hundley and Raben will be added to the Rapids supplemental roster as Homegrown players.
Full Name: Matt Hundley
Birth Date: May 11, 2000
Full Name: Sam Raben
Birth Date: May 11, 1997
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 15, 2019
- Austin FC to Begin Play in MLS in 2021 - MLS
- LAFC and Defender Walker Zimmerman Agree to New Multi-Year Contract - Los Angeles FC
- LA Galaxy Re-Sign Defender Rolf Feltscher - LA Galaxy
- Earthquakes Head Coach Matias Almeyda Named CONCACAF Coach of the Year - San Jose Earthquakes
- Colorado Rapids Signs Matt Hundley and Sam Raben as Homegrown Players - Colorado Rapids
- New England Revolution Announce Changes to Technical Staff - New England Revolution
- New York Red Bulls Open Preseason Camp Ahead of Champions League Return - New York Red Bulls
- Real Salt Lake Announces Full 2019 Preseason Schedule - Real Salt Lake
- Sounders FC Signs Goalkeeper Trey Muse as Homegrown Player - Seattle Sounders FC
- Atlanta United Acquires Dion Pereira - Atlanta United FC
- Timbers Set to Travel to Costa Rica, Tucson for 2019 Preseason Presented by Old Trapper - Portland Timbers
- Orlando City Stadium Set to Host Orlando City Invitational During Preseason - Orlando City SC
- Lions Open 2019 Preseason with Inaugural Orlando City Invitational - Orlando City SC
- Revolution to Compete in Inaugural Orlando City Invitational Preseason Tournament - New England Revolution
- New York City FC Announce Preseason Friendly Matches in Orlando - New York City FC
- Minnesota United Announces 2019 Preseason Schedule - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Colorado Rapids Loan Forward Niki Jackson to Charlotte Independence
- Colorado Rapids Home Match against Seattle Sounders Postponed Due to Inclement Weather
- Rapids Sign Defender Sebastian Anderson as Homegrown Player
- Colorado Rapids to Host Arsenal for Friendly Match, Presented by Western Union, at Dick's Sporting Goods Park
- Rapids Place ShkÃ«lzen Gashi on Waivers