Alberga's Three Point Night Melts IceMen
NORFOLK, VA - Domenic Alberga scored a goal and added two assists as the Norfolk Admirals topped the Jacksonville Icemen Saturday Night at Scope Arena. Alex Rodriguez netted his first professional goal for Norfolk. Cody Fowlie had the lone goal for Jacksonville. With the win, Norfolk sits only eight points back of the fourth and final playoff spot in the south Division.
The Admirals jumped out front with a goal from Brandon Rumble. The Admirals were able to maintain a brief period of pressured zone time. Alberga skated from the right circle through the middle of the ice and into the left circle before firing off a back-door pass to Rumble who was waiting to redirect the pass past Ken Appleby to give Norfolk a 1-0 lead at 17:51 of the first period.
Norfolk extended their lead with an incredible goal from Domenic Alberga. Alberga gathered the puck in front of the Norfolk blue-line after he forced a turnover in the Norfolk defensive zone. Alberga fired a slap-shot from in front of the Admirals blue line that bounced right in front of Appleby before going between his legs and into the net to give Norfolk a 2-0 lead.
The Admirals extended their lead with the first professional goal for Alex Rodriguez. Rodriguez blocked an attempted dump-in at the red line, which led to a rush the other way for Norfolk. Rodriguez skated in on the right side, faked a slap-shot, and unleashed a wrist shot that beat Appleby glove side to give Norfolk a 3-0 lead at 14:53 of the second period.
Jacksonville answered the Norfolk tally with a goal from Cody Fowlie. Dajon Mingo played the puck into the right circle for Everett Clark. Clark dropped a pass back for Fowlie who was able to shoot the puck just inside the left post past Ty Reichenbach to cut the Norfolk lead to 3-1 at 3:27 of the third period.
Norfolk reclaimed it's three-goal lead with a short-handed goal from Jake Wood. Eric Roy played a pass from the Norfolk zone to the Jacksonville blue-line for Jake Wood. Wood skated in on the right side and fired a shot past the glove of Christian Frey to give Norfolk a 4-1 lead.
The Admirals added two late goals, one even-strength and one on the power-play and went on to win by a 6-1 final score. Ty Reichenbach made 28 saves on 29 shots to win his 20thgame of the year, while Ken Appleby made 14 saves on 17 shots. Christian Frey made 6 saves on 9 shots for Jacksonville in relief of Appleby.
The Admirals continue the homestand this Friday, March 22 at 7:00 p.m. against Jacksonville.
Upcoming Home Games & Promotions
Friday, March 22, vs. Jacksonville, 7:00 p.m.
Saturday, March 23 vs. Jacksonville, 7:00 p.m. St. Hatrick's, Mental Health Awareness Night, Postgame Skate
Admirals Ticket Information
Single Game Tickets may be purchased at the Scope Box Office, or online at Ticketmaster.com
Discounted Group Tickets: Bring your group of 10 or more to a game at a discounted price! Group tickets are available for all home games. Fundraising opportunities are also available.
2019-20 Ticket Packages are Currently on Sale! The Admirals offer flexible partial plans that will best fit your schedule and budget!
For more information regarding ticket options, or Norfolk Admirals Hockey, visit NorfolkAdmirals.com or call the Admirals office at (757) 640-1212!
Images from this story
Norfolk Admirals forward Domenic Alberga
(Paul Jenson Photography)
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 20, 2019
- Cyclones Claim Central Division Championship - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Power Play Leads K-Wings Past Komets, 4-3 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Growlers Snap Five-Game Losing Streak with 5-1 Win over Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Cyclones Clinch Division Title - Wheeling Nailers
- Alberga's Three Point Night Melts IceMen - Norfolk Admirals
- Growlers Earn 40th Win, Defeat Monarchs 5-1 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Walleye Add Forward - Toledo Walleye
- ECHL Transactions - March 20 - ECHL
- Atlanta Signs Two College Players - Atlanta Gladiators
- Brooks Signed to SPC - Wichita Thunder
- Defenseman Sam Becker Signs with Royals - Reading Royals
- South Carolina Signs Forward Stephane Legault - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mariners Sign Goaltender Francois Brassard - Maine Mariners
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Wheeling Nailers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers at Cyclones Game Day Snap Shot, March 20 - Wheeling Nailers
- Americans Weekly - Allen Americans
- Thunder Weekly, March 20th - Wichita Thunder
- Game Day: Points on the Line in Mid-Week Showdown with Komets - Kalamazoo Wings
- Melanson Recalled to Hartford - Maine Mariners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.