8th Inning Home Run Hands Saltdogs Second Straight One-Run Loss
LINCOLN, NE - The Lincoln Saltdogs gave up a go-ahead run to David Kerian in the eighth inning lost 6-5 to the Sioux City Explorers for the second straight night at Haymarket Park.
Saltdogs (29-29) reliever Derek Gordon had a full count with two outs and the bases empty against Kerian in the eighth. The switch-hitter, who had just one homer this season, launched the next pitch over the right field fence to give Sioux City (43-15) the lead.
Lincoln scored the first run of the game in the third inning. Randolph Oduber started the frame with a base hit. Dashenko Ricardo notched a single two batters later before Christian Ibarra drove Oduber in with a single up the middle.
Saltdogs starting pitcher Austin Robichaux tossed four shutout innings before getting knocked around in the fifth. Dylan Kelly singled to start the inning and Kerian drew a one-out walk. Then, Luis Durango doubled in both runners and Michael Lang singled home Durango to make it 3-1.
Lincoln responded with an outburst in the next half inning. Cesar Valera blasted a two-run homer to tie it up. Two batters later, Curt Smith launched a two-run homer to give Lincoln the 5-3 lead. Valera's shot was the first home run hit by someone besides Ibarra or Oduber since July 3rd. Smith's long ball was his team-high 12th dinger.
Sioux City tied it back up in the seventh. Durango lined a base hit to start the inning then Michael Lang reached on a bunt single. Jay Austin laid down another bunt and Gordon, the pitcher, threw it wildly to first base. The error let both runners score to tie it up. Kerian hit the game-winning homer in the next inning.
X's relievers Patrick Schuster and Eric Karch combined to retire eight of the last nine batters to thwart a Saltdogs comeback.
The Saltdogs fall to .500 on the season for the first time since May 29th when they were 6-6.
The game was played in three hours and 13 minutes in front of 4,844 people.
Lincoln tries to win the series finale on Sunday. First pitch is at 1:05 PM with coverage beginning at 12:35 PM on ESPN 101.5 FM 1480 AM and saltdogs.com/stream.
For more information on the Saltdogs, follow the team on Facebook and Twitter/Instagram @saltdogsball. For ticket information visit https://saltdogs.com/tickets/ or call (402) 474-2255.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 22, 2018
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Six Run Fourth Pushes Dogs to Series Victory - Chicago Dogs
- Bergin Goes Yard Again, But Birds Lose Finale to Dogs - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Andy De Jesus' Walk-Off Sac Fly Lifts 'Cats to Series Sweep - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saints Finish Roadtrip on Dismal Note, Swept by RailCats in 6-5, 11 Inning Loss - St. Paul Saints
- T-Bones Smoke the Hogs 4-0 - Kansas City T-Bones
- Saltdogs Rally to Take Series Finale 3-2 - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Lambson Pitches Complete Game Victory, Goldeyes Homer Three Times in Fargo - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RedHawks Can't Stop Winnipeg Bats in Series Finale - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- AirHogs Can't Overcome Four-Run Seventh, Fall in KC - Texas AirHogs
- Harman Stifles Railroaders in Finale - Wichita Wingnuts
- Railroaders Blanked in Wichita - Cleburne Railroaders
- Dogs Strand Season-High 15 in 8-5 Loss - Chicago Dogs
- Deja Vu: X's Beat Saltdogs 6-5 for Second Straight Night - Sioux City Explorers
- 8th Inning Home Run Hands Saltdogs Second Straight One-Run Loss - Lincoln Saltdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.