American Association Game Recaps
July 22, 2018 - American Association (AA) News Release
Wichita 2, Cleburne 0- Box Score
The Wichita Wingnuts came out on top of a pitcher's duel against the Cleburne Railroader (20-39) with a 2-0 win on Sunday.
Wingnuts' starter Casey Harman (7-2) gave up just two hits while walking none and striking out seven in eight innings of work. Railroaders' starter Michael Gunn (2-3) wasn't far behind. The lefty gave up both earned runs but allowed just two hits and walked one over eight innings.
Tony Thomas (1-for-2) led off the bottom of the second with a walk and stole second before scoring two batters later on an RBI single by Logan Trowbridge (1-for-3) to give Wichita a 1-0 lead. Thomas brought the game to its final score with a solo home run (17) in the bottom of the seventh.
Daniel Tillman pitched a 1-2-3 top of the ninth to earn the save (16).
Gary SouthShore 6, St. Paul 5 (F/11)- Box Score
The Gary SouthShore RailCats (32-26) hit a walk-off in the bottom of the 11th to defeat the St. Paul Saints (33-28) 6-5 on Sunday.
The RailCats broke a 2-2 tie with a three-run bottom of the sixth that included an RBI double by Ronnie Mitchell (3-for-5), an RBI single by Reggie Wilson (3-for-5), and a bases loaded walk. The Saints tied the game in the top of the eighth by scoring one on a Brady Shoemaker (2-for-4) RBI single, one on wild pitch, and one on an error.
The game remained tied until the bottom of the 11th when Andy Dejesus (1-for-4) hit a sacrifice fly to end the game.
Myles Smith (2-1) pitched a scoreless 11th inning to earn the win.
Winnipeg 10, Fargo-Moorhead 2- Box Score
The Winnipeg Goldeyes (26-36) hit their way to 10-2 win over the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks (32-27) on Sunday.
The Goldeyes collected 15 hits in the contest. Reggie Abercrombie (2-for-5) hit a solo home run (7) in the top of the first to make it 1-0 Winnipeg and Tucker Nathans (2-for-4) led off the next inning with a home run of his own (5) to make it 2-0.
RedHawks' starter Trey McNutt (3-6) settled down to pitch a scoreless third and fourth before leaving the game. The Goldeyes pushed the lead to 5-0 with a three-run fifth that included an RBI double by Josh Mazzola.
Mitch Lambson held the RedHawks in check and went the distance, giving up two earned on seven hits while walking none and striking out five.
Grant Heyman (2-for-4) also hit a solo home run (12) in the top of the sixth for the Goldeyes.
Lincoln 3, Sioux City 2- Box Score
The Lincoln Saltdogs (30-29) edged the Sioux City Explorers (43-16) by a score of 3-2 on Sunday.
The Explorers took a 1-0 when Luis Durango (2-for-3) scored on a double-play in the top of the first. Durango hit an RBI single in the top of the seventh to make it 2-0. The Saltdogs cut the lead to one with a Brandon Jacobs single in the bottom of the seventh. Then, TJ Bennett (2-for-4) hit a two-run double in the bottom of the eighth to put the Saltodgs out in front.
Chicago 9, Sioux Falls 3- Box Score
The Chicago Dogs (24-36) slugged their way to a 9-3 win over the Sioux Falls Canaries (25-35) on Sunday.
Chicago took a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the second when Stephen Perez and Matt Dean hit back-to-back RBI doubles. The Canaries cut the lead to one in the top of the third and Joe Benson (3-for-5) hit a solo home run (4) in the next frame to make it a two-run game again. The Dogs scored their final six runs in the fourth with two coming on a Dean (2-for-4) home run (6).
Tommy Thorpe (2-3) pitched two scoreless innings of relief to earn the win.
Kansas City 4, Texas 0- Box Score
Hunter Adkins pitched the Kansas City T-Bones (39-21) to a 4-0 win over the Texas AirHogs (17-43) on Sunday.
Adkins (5-2) allowed just three hits while walking one and striking out six in his seven innings of shutout work. Joe Filomeno pitched a scoreless eighth and Cody Winiarski pitched a scoreless ninth to aid in the shutout.
AirHogs starter Gan Quan pitched six scoreless innings, but the bullpen folded in the seventh when Noah Perio Jr. (1-for-4) hit an RBI single, Taylor Featherson (1-for-3) hit an RBI single and Adrian Nieto hit a two-run single to give the T-Bones a 4-0 lead.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 22, 2018
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Six Run Fourth Pushes Dogs to Series Victory - Chicago Dogs
- Bergin Goes Yard Again, But Birds Lose Finale to Dogs - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Andy De Jesus' Walk-Off Sac Fly Lifts 'Cats to Series Sweep - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saints Finish Roadtrip on Dismal Note, Swept by RailCats in 6-5, 11 Inning Loss - St. Paul Saints
- T-Bones Smoke the Hogs 4-0 - Kansas City T-Bones
- Saltdogs Rally to Take Series Finale 3-2 - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Lambson Pitches Complete Game Victory, Goldeyes Homer Three Times in Fargo - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RedHawks Can't Stop Winnipeg Bats in Series Finale - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- AirHogs Can't Overcome Four-Run Seventh, Fall in KC - Texas AirHogs
- Harman Stifles Railroaders in Finale - Wichita Wingnuts
- Railroaders Blanked in Wichita - Cleburne Railroaders
- Dogs Strand Season-High 15 in 8-5 Loss - Chicago Dogs
- Deja Vu: X's Beat Saltdogs 6-5 for Second Straight Night - Sioux City Explorers
- 8th Inning Home Run Hands Saltdogs Second Straight One-Run Loss - Lincoln Saltdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.