Bergin Goes Yard Again, But Birds Lose Finale to Dogs
The Sioux Falls Canaries rode four home runs to a road victory on Saturday night at Impact Field, beating the Chicago Dogs 8-5 to level their three-game series at a game apiece.
Jabari Henry and David Bergin each belted two home runs, including a three-run shot by Henry in the seventh to put the Birds ahead for good. The Birds have hit 10 home runs in their last three games.
Bergin and Henry went back-to-back in the second to open the scoring, hitting solo home runs on consecutive pitches to give the Canaries a 2-0 lead.
Chicago got one back in the bottom of a second when Mike Falsetti drew a bases-loaded walk against Birds starter Dylan Thompson.
The Canaries responded immediately in the next frame. Mike Hart, still dealing with an injured foot, led off the third with a triple. It was Hart's first at-bat since July 11.
Hart scored on a Maxx Garrett ground ball to give Sioux Falls a 3-1 lead. An RBI single by Patrick Fiala in the fourth extended the advantage to 4-1.
Chicago responded with three runs in the sixth off of Thompson. Their final run of the inning scored on a steal of home by Stephen Perez, tying the game at 4.
Thompson allowed four runs (one earned) on five hits in 5.2 innings of work, walking four and striking out three.
Jabari Henry put the Birds on top 7-4 in the seventh with a three-run home run, his second of the night and seventh of the season.
Rubi Silva homered in the bottom of the frame to put Chicago within two, but David Bergin hit another solo shot in the ninth inning to make it 8-5 Birds.
Miles Nordgren worked out of a bases-loaded jam in the ninth to ice the win for Sioux Falls.
The Canaries and Dogs meet for the rubber game of their three-game set Sunday at 1pm. John Straka will get the start for Sioux Falls, while starter Trevor Simms will make his Dogs debut. Birds fans can tune in on Sioux Falls Sports Radio 98.1 FM and AM 1230 KWSN and online at kwsn.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 22, 2018
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Six Run Fourth Pushes Dogs to Series Victory - Chicago Dogs
- Bergin Goes Yard Again, But Birds Lose Finale to Dogs - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Andy De Jesus' Walk-Off Sac Fly Lifts 'Cats to Series Sweep - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saints Finish Roadtrip on Dismal Note, Swept by RailCats in 6-5, 11 Inning Loss - St. Paul Saints
- T-Bones Smoke the Hogs 4-0 - Kansas City T-Bones
- Saltdogs Rally to Take Series Finale 3-2 - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Lambson Pitches Complete Game Victory, Goldeyes Homer Three Times in Fargo - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RedHawks Can't Stop Winnipeg Bats in Series Finale - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- AirHogs Can't Overcome Four-Run Seventh, Fall in KC - Texas AirHogs
- Harman Stifles Railroaders in Finale - Wichita Wingnuts
- Railroaders Blanked in Wichita - Cleburne Railroaders
- Dogs Strand Season-High 15 in 8-5 Loss - Chicago Dogs
- Deja Vu: X's Beat Saltdogs 6-5 for Second Straight Night - Sioux City Explorers
- 8th Inning Home Run Hands Saltdogs Second Straight One-Run Loss - Lincoln Saltdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.