Saints Finish Roadtrip on Dismal Note, Swept by RailCats in 6-5, 11 Inning Loss
GARY, IN - It's now how you start, it's how you finish and the St. Paul Saints finished their 10-game roadtrip with a loud thud. Despite scoring three runs in the eighth to tie the game, the Saints lost 6-5 in 11 innings to the Gary SouthShore Railcats on Sunday afternoon at the U.S. Steel Yard. The loss is a season high fourth straight, as they were swept by the Railcats, they fall to 33-28 and are now a 0.5 game out of first place. They finished the 10-game roadtrip 5-5.
With the Saints trailing 5-2 in the eighth Burt Reynolds led off the inning with the double and scored on a Brady Shoemaker single to make it 5-3. With two outs Matt Snyder hit a shallow fly ball to left that Tillman Pugh raced in for, but couldn't come up with the sliding catch and Snyder wound up with a double as Shoemaker took third. The Railcats went to the bullpen for Adam Quintana and his first pitch to Justin O'Conner was in the dirt and went to the backstop. Shoemaker scored and the ensuing throw from catcher Andy Paz to the plate went awry of Quintana. That allowed pinch runner Jake Smith to score and tie the game at five.
The Saints had the first chance in extra innings when Anthony Phillips led off the 10th with a bunt single. Max Murphy sacrificed him to second. Kyle Barrett then tried to bunt for a base hit, but was thrown out by the pitcher Quintana as Phillips moved to third. Reynolds would strike out, however, to end the inning.
In the 11th the Railcats would win it when Reggie Wilson led off with a single to center. Garrett Copeland sacrificed him to second. A single to right by Cole Fabio moved Wilson to third. The Saints elected to intentionally walk Alex Crosby to load the bases. Andy DeJesus finished the game with a sacrifice fly to center.
The Railcats jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first when they loaded the bases with one out on a walk to Crosby, a double by DeJesus and a walk to Colin Willis. Ronnie Mitchell then lined a shot towards right, but it hit the runner Willis for the second out. Matt Solter looked like he would get out of the inning, but Paz came through with an RBI single to left and Reynolds' throw to the plate was over the head of the catcher O'Conner allowing DeJesus to score.
The Saints tied it with a run in the fourth and the fifth. In the fourth Shoemaker singled and Dante Bichette Jr. doubled him to third. A groundout by Snyder scored Shoemaker to make it 2-1.
In the fifth Murphy doubled with one out and scored on an RBI single by Barrett to tie it at two.
In the sixth the Railcats plated three when six consecutive hitters reached. Tillman Pugh reached on an infield single and he moved to second on a single by Willis. Mitchell made it 3-2 with an RBI single. After an intentional walk to Paz loaded the bases, Ken Frosch came into the game. He would give up an RBI single to Wilson and walk Copeland with the bases loaded to make it 5-2. Frosch would record two outs and extend his scoreless streak to 25.1 innings pitched.
Saints reliever Mike Devine tossed 3.0 scoreless innings and he has not allowed a run in 15.0 consecutive scoreless innings.
The Saints have Monday and Tuesday off and return to action on Wednesday night in the first of a two game series at CHS Field against the Wichita Wingnuts. Both teams are TBA. It is Christmas in July with Coldwell Banker Burnet.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 22, 2018
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Six Run Fourth Pushes Dogs to Series Victory - Chicago Dogs
- Bergin Goes Yard Again, But Birds Lose Finale to Dogs - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Andy De Jesus' Walk-Off Sac Fly Lifts 'Cats to Series Sweep - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saints Finish Roadtrip on Dismal Note, Swept by RailCats in 6-5, 11 Inning Loss - St. Paul Saints
- T-Bones Smoke the Hogs 4-0 - Kansas City T-Bones
- Saltdogs Rally to Take Series Finale 3-2 - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Lambson Pitches Complete Game Victory, Goldeyes Homer Three Times in Fargo - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RedHawks Can't Stop Winnipeg Bats in Series Finale - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- AirHogs Can't Overcome Four-Run Seventh, Fall in KC - Texas AirHogs
- Harman Stifles Railroaders in Finale - Wichita Wingnuts
- Railroaders Blanked in Wichita - Cleburne Railroaders
- Dogs Strand Season-High 15 in 8-5 Loss - Chicago Dogs
- Deja Vu: X's Beat Saltdogs 6-5 for Second Straight Night - Sioux City Explorers
- 8th Inning Home Run Hands Saltdogs Second Straight One-Run Loss - Lincoln Saltdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent St. Paul Saints Stories
- The Feeder System: Saints Pitcher Evan Mitchell Has Contract Purchased by Indians Organization
- Different Week, Same Story as Saints Closer Zack Jones Has Contract Purchased by Mets Organization
- Record Breaking Outfielder Max Murphy Re-Signs with Saints
- Another Contract Purchased as Pitcher Matt Solter Going to Cleveland Indians Organization
- Nunn No Longer a Saint, Has Contract Purchased by Texas Rangers Organization