Harman Stifles Railroaders in Finale
WICHITA, Kan. - Casey Harman fired eight shutout innings, allowing just two hits, as the Wichita Wingnuts snuck past the Cleburne Railroaders 2-0 on Sunday afternoon at Lawrence-Dumont Stadium.
The Wingnuts (38-23) made the most of just two hits of their own, tying a franchise-record for fewest hits recorded in a single game in team history. Logan Trowbridge broke the ice with an RBI single in the third against Cleburne starter Michael Gunn (2-3), driving home Tony Thomas who drew a leadoff walk and stole second. Thomas then recorded Wichita's only other hit with a line drive solo homer in the seventh, his 17th long ball of the season for a 2-0 lead.
That was more than enough support for Harman (7-2), who matched a Wingnuts season high and his own personal 2018 high by completing eight innings. The southpaw struck out seven and did not issue a walk while throwing 98 pitches.
Daniel Tillman nailed down his league-leading 16th save in the ninth by setting down the Railroaders in order.
Gunn took the tough-luck loss for Cleburne (20-39), tossing a complete game by going eight innings. He struck out three and walked one, allowing just two hits.
The game was completed in just two hours and five minutes, tied for the quickest game the Wingnuts have played in 2018.
The Wingnuts have back-to-back off days for the only time during the 2018 season on Monday and Tuesday, then open a two-game series against the St. Paul Saints on Wednesday. First pitch from CHS Field in St. Paul is scheduled for 7:05 PM, and will be broadcast on 1410 AM/93.9 FM KGSO, TuneIn and americanassociationbaseball.tv.
For information on season tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Wingnuts main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 22, 2018
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Six Run Fourth Pushes Dogs to Series Victory - Chicago Dogs
- Bergin Goes Yard Again, But Birds Lose Finale to Dogs - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Andy De Jesus' Walk-Off Sac Fly Lifts 'Cats to Series Sweep - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saints Finish Roadtrip on Dismal Note, Swept by RailCats in 6-5, 11 Inning Loss - St. Paul Saints
- T-Bones Smoke the Hogs 4-0 - Kansas City T-Bones
- Saltdogs Rally to Take Series Finale 3-2 - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Lambson Pitches Complete Game Victory, Goldeyes Homer Three Times in Fargo - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RedHawks Can't Stop Winnipeg Bats in Series Finale - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- AirHogs Can't Overcome Four-Run Seventh, Fall in KC - Texas AirHogs
- Harman Stifles Railroaders in Finale - Wichita Wingnuts
- Railroaders Blanked in Wichita - Cleburne Railroaders
- Dogs Strand Season-High 15 in 8-5 Loss - Chicago Dogs
- Deja Vu: X's Beat Saltdogs 6-5 for Second Straight Night - Sioux City Explorers
- 8th Inning Home Run Hands Saltdogs Second Straight One-Run Loss - Lincoln Saltdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.