Deja Vu: X's Beat Saltdogs 6-5 for Second Straight Night
Lincoln, NE - For the second straight night the Sioux City Explorers were able to beat the Lincoln Saltdogs by a score of 6-5.
Sioux City got a solid start from new comer to the roster Ian McKinney as he made his first start for the Explorers in this one. McKinney took a no decision as he went 4.1 innings, allowed 4 runs 3 earned on 6 hits, struck out 8 batters and didn't walk anyone.
The Saltdogs would get on the board first in the bottom of the third as Randolph Oduber singled to lead off the inning. He would score on a Christian Ibarra single making it 1-0 Lincoln.
Sioux City though would score in the fifth for the third straight game. Dylan Kelly lead off with a single and David Kerian walked. Kelly scored on a double by Luis Durango to tie the game 1-1. Michael Lang followed with a base hit that scored two and gave Sioux City a 3-1 lead. The X's have now scored a combined 12 runs in the fifth innings of their last three games played.
Lincoln though came back in their half off the frame and did it in Saltdogs fashion with a pair of Home Runs. Cesar Valera tied the game 3-3 with his second homer of the year. And Curt Smith hit his 12th of the season making it 5-3 Lincoln.
Sioux City tied the game in the seventh as Durango singled and Michael Lang reached on a bunt single. Jay Austin then tried to lay down a sacrifice bunt, it was fielded by the pitcher Derek Gordon but he over threw the play at first base and it allowed both Durango and Lang to score 5-5.
In the bottom of the eighth with two outs and no body on, David Kerian came to the plate. With a 3-2 count Kerian unloaded on a pitch and hit a no doubt shot over the right field wall to give Sioux City a 6-5 lead.
In the bottom of the ninth still clinging to a 6-5 lead, Eric Karch (12) was called on for the save for the third straight night. Karch set down the Saltdogs in order picking up two strikeouts. Karch has now picked up three saves in three straight nights pitching 4 innings and racking up 7 strikeouts.
Sioux City was able to strikeout 13 Saltdogs batters in the contest without walking a single one.
The Explorers will go for the sweep on Sunday afternoon with first pitch set for 1:05 as Luis Mateo will be on the hill for the X's and Eric Wooten for the Saltdogs.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 22, 2018
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Six Run Fourth Pushes Dogs to Series Victory - Chicago Dogs
- Bergin Goes Yard Again, But Birds Lose Finale to Dogs - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Andy De Jesus' Walk-Off Sac Fly Lifts 'Cats to Series Sweep - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saints Finish Roadtrip on Dismal Note, Swept by RailCats in 6-5, 11 Inning Loss - St. Paul Saints
- T-Bones Smoke the Hogs 4-0 - Kansas City T-Bones
- Saltdogs Rally to Take Series Finale 3-2 - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Lambson Pitches Complete Game Victory, Goldeyes Homer Three Times in Fargo - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RedHawks Can't Stop Winnipeg Bats in Series Finale - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- AirHogs Can't Overcome Four-Run Seventh, Fall in KC - Texas AirHogs
- Harman Stifles Railroaders in Finale - Wichita Wingnuts
- Railroaders Blanked in Wichita - Cleburne Railroaders
- Dogs Strand Season-High 15 in 8-5 Loss - Chicago Dogs
- Deja Vu: X's Beat Saltdogs 6-5 for Second Straight Night - Sioux City Explorers
- 8th Inning Home Run Hands Saltdogs Second Straight One-Run Loss - Lincoln Saltdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.