Idaho captures wild OT win in GwinnettJanuary 27, 2013 - ECHL (ECHL) - Idaho Steelheads
Idaho collected four out of a possible six points on its rare eastern swing, winning two of three games to improve to 27-11-5.
The Steelheads struck first when Austin Fyten slammed home a Tyler Gron centering pass at 8:29 of the first period during a 5-on-3 power play opportunity. Gwinnett tied it at 13:31 when Alex Belzile snuck a puck past Tyler Beskorowany during a goal-mouth scramble to even the game at 1. The back-and-forth affair, which would be the theme of the night, would swing back to Idaho 90 seconds later at 15:03 when Ian Watters' shot from the blue line beat Gwinnett goaltender Louie Domingue. Watters' fourth of the season gave Idaho a 2-1 lead after one period.
The second period was also highlighted by highs and lows. Fourteen seconds into the frame, David Toews feathered a brilliant centering pass from the left corner to the edge of the crease, where Ben Ondrus awaited for an easy tap-in goal, giving Idaho a 3-1 lead. But Gwinnett would answer with three goals - Jason Clark on the power play at 2:01, Casey Pierro-Zabotel short-handed at 14:08, and Andy Brandt at even strength at 15:51 - to give the Gladiators a 4-3 lead.
Idaho would answer with a big power-play goal late in the second to even the ledger. Matt Case carried the puck up the right-hand wing before feeding across the slot to Sam Carrick, who re-directed the puck past Domingue at 17:49 for his 11th tally of the season, tying the game at 4-4 going into the third period.
The Steelheads would again inch ahead at 7:14 of the third on James Isaacs' first ECHL goal, a wrist shot from the high slot inside the right-hand post, but the Gladiators would tie things up 36 seconds later at 7:50 on Joey Haddad's fifth of the season. Gwinnett nearly won the game in regulation, but Beskorowany came up with a brilliant leg save on Doug Jones inside the final minute to send the game to overtime.
In the extra frame, Idaho struck quickly off an offensive-zone draw. The Steelheads got the puck to the front of the net where Fyten and Andrew Carroll lurked. Carroll was able to knock the puck just over the goal line at 1:04 of the overtime session to win the game, 6-5. It was Idaho's first overtime victory of the season.
Beskorowany got the win, stopping 30 of 35 shots. Domingue got the loss, allowing 6 goals on 32 shots. Idaho's power play converted on two of six chances while Gwinnett was two for five on the man-advantage.
Ondrus (goal, assist), Fyten (goal, assist), Toews (two assists) and Case (two assists) all had multi-point nights for the Steelheads.
Idaho returns to action Friday, February 1, with a game in Stockton, CA, against the Thunder.
The team returns home on February 6 against the Utah Grizzlies. Tickets are available by calling the CenturyLink Arena box office at 208.331.8497 or by going online at www.idahosteelheads.com
COORS OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE GAME - Matt Case
CENTURYLINK THREE STARS:
1) Austin Fyten (ID)
2) Casey Pierro-Zabotel (GWN)
3) Ben Ondrus (ID)
Group outings at a Steelheads game are a great way to gather friends, colleagues, or co-workers for a fun night out in downtown Boise. Ticket prices are discounted and you can get a Pepsi, Double-R Ranch Hot Dog, and bag of Tim's Cascade Chips with each ticket. Contact the Steelheads front office at 208.383.0080 or log on to www.idahosteelheads.com for more information.
ECHL Stories from January 27, 2013
- Reed, Riendeau help Thunder get last laugh in season series with win - Stockton Thunder
- Aces Fall To Bulls 3-2 In Overtime - Alaska Aces
- SF Bulls Stun Aces With 3-2 Overtime Win - San Francisco Bulls
- Early Attack Dooms Titans In Elmira, Fall 8-1 - Trenton Titans
- Stockton Edges Utah 2-1, Grizzlies Take 2 of 3 on Weekend - Utah Grizzlies
- Everblades Cruise Past Road Warriors 6-2 - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones End a Pair of Streaks for Nailers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Everblades Snap Road Warriors' Winning Ways - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Jackals Win Clash with Titans - Elmira Jackals
- Idaho captures wild OT win in Gwinnett - Idaho Steelheads
- Steelheads get past Gladiators 6-5 in Overtime - Gwinnett Gladiators
- Cyclones Slam Nailers in Sunday Matinee, 4-2 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Royals Win 4-1 Over Wranglers - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Condors Comeback To Defeat K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- Stingrays End Homestand with 5-2 Victory over Solar Bears - South Carolina Stingrays
- Orlando Closes Road Trip with 5-2 Loss to South Carolina - Orlando Solar Bears
- Boyd delivers yet again as Condors stun Kalamazoo in overtime, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder Vs. Utah Grizzlies - Stockton Thunder
- Bulls Face Aces in Weekend Rubber Match - San Francisco Bulls
- ECHL Transactions - January 27 - ECHL
- Forward Matt Beca Returns to Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL announces fines, suspensions - ECHL
- Trenton Titans GameDay at Elmira - January 27; Game 43 (Away 20) - Trenton Titans
- Defensemen Mark Mitera and Patrick Wellar Return to Reading - Reading Royals
- Lee Assigned to Gwinnett from AHL Portland - Gwinnett Gladiators
- Countdown to Face-Off: K-Wings Vs Condors - Kalamazoo Wings
- Elmira Jackals Game Preview - Elmira Jackals
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati at Wheeling - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at South Carolina Stingrays - January 27 - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Today - January 27 - ECHL
- Stingrays Game Preview: Stingrays Host Orlando on Kid's Day - South Carolina Stingrays
- SF Bulls Held off by Aces, 2-1 - San Francisco Bulls
- Aces Hang on to Edge Bulls 2-1 - Alaska Aces
- Reed ignites Teddy Bear Toss with goal before 8,026 fans in Stockton - Stockton Thunder
- Grizzlies Tie Late; Beat Stockton in Overtime - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.