Steelheads get past Gladiators 6-5 in OvertimeJanuary 27, 2013 - ECHL (ECHL) Gwinnett Gladiators
Fyten opened the scoring for the Steelheads with a 5-on-3 power play goal 8:29 into the first period. He took a rink wide pass from Tyler Gron before he ripped a shot past Gwinnett netminder Louis Domingue. Matt Case added an assist on the goal for Idaho.
Gwinnett answered with a power play goal of their own. Alex Belzile found a loose puck that slipped past Idaho netminder Tyler Beskorowany for his eighth goal of the season. Justin Bowers and Scot Arnold collected the assists on the power play goal for Gwinnett at 13:31 of the first.
Idaho regained the lead with 4:57 left in the first period. Ian Watters slipped into the Gladiators zone and ripped a slap shot past Domingue for the marker. Ben Ondrus and David Toews had the assist on the goal for Idaho.
The Steelheads extended their lead to 3-1 just 14 seconds into the second period. Ben Ondrus best Domingue for the goal off a feed from Toews with Justin Taylor also collecting an assist on the goal.
Three straight goals by the Gladiators put Gwinnett on top 4-3 in the second period. Jason Clark's second goal of the season came as he picked up a loose puck in the slot and ripped it past Beskorowany on the power play. Sacha Guimond and Casey Pierro-Zabotel notched the assists on the goal at 2:01 of the second.
Gwinnett tied the game at three at the 14:08 mark of the second period with a shorthanded goal from Pierro-Zabotel. Doug Jones set up the marker as he slid through the slot and drew two defensemen which left Pierro-Zabotel wide open on the opposite post to collect a rebound and slip it past Beskorowany.
Andy Brandt found a loose puck in the slot and slammed it past the Beskorowany with 4:09 left in the second period to give Gwinnett a 4-3 lead. Scott Arnold and Guimond collected the assists on the goal for Gwinnett.
Before the end of the period, the Steeleheads pulled even with Gwinnett. Sam Carrick re-directed a centering pass from Matt Case past Domingue on the power play.
The teams exchanged goals in the third period with Idaho jumping out to a 5-4 lead on a goal by James Issacs. The marker by Issacs came unassisted at 7:14 of the third period.
Joey Haddad answered for Gwinnett 36 seconds later. Haddad walked down the left wing and ripped a shot past Beskorowany for the goal. Corey Fienhage and Ryan Donald collected the assists on the goal for Gwinnett.
Domingue finished with 26 saves in the overtime loss. Gwinnett went 2-for-5 on the power play while Idaho went 2-for-6 on the man advantage.
Gwinnett is back in action on Friday as they host the South Carolina Stingrays at the Arena at Gwinnett Center at 7:35 p.m.
The Gladiators are the ECHL Affiliate of the Phoenix Coyotes of the National Hockey League and are members of the ECHL, the Premier "AA" Hockey League and play all home games at the 11,355-seat Arena at Gwinnett Center, located just off I-85 on Sugarloaf Parkway in Duluth.
ECHL Stories from January 27, 2013
- Reed, Riendeau help Thunder get last laugh in season series with win - Stockton Thunder
- Aces Fall To Bulls 3-2 In Overtime - Alaska Aces
- SF Bulls Stun Aces With 3-2 Overtime Win - San Francisco Bulls
- Early Attack Dooms Titans In Elmira, Fall 8-1 - Trenton Titans
- Stockton Edges Utah 2-1, Grizzlies Take 2 of 3 on Weekend - Utah Grizzlies
- Everblades Cruise Past Road Warriors 6-2 - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones End a Pair of Streaks for Nailers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Everblades Snap Road Warriors' Winning Ways - Greenville Road Warriors
- Jackals Win Clash with Titans - Elmira Jackals
- Idaho captures wild OT win in Gwinnett - Idaho Steelheads
- Steelheads get past Gladiators 6-5 in Overtime - Gwinnett Gladiators
- Cyclones Slam Nailers in Sunday Matinee, 4-2 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Royals Win 4-1 Over Wranglers - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Condors Comeback To Defeat K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- Stingrays End Homestand with 5-2 Victory over Solar Bears - South Carolina Stingrays
- Orlando Closes Road Trip with 5-2 Loss to South Carolina - Orlando Solar Bears
- Boyd delivers yet again as Condors stun Kalamazoo in overtime, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder Vs. Utah Grizzlies - Stockton Thunder
- Bulls Face Aces in Weekend Rubber Match - San Francisco Bulls
- ECHL Transactions - January 27 - ECHL
- Forward Matt Beca Returns to Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL announces fines, suspensions - ECHL
- Trenton Titans GameDay at Elmira - January 27; Game 43 (Away 20) - Trenton Titans
- Defensemen Mark Mitera and Patrick Wellar Return to Reading - Reading Royals
- Lee Assigned to Gwinnett from AHL Portland - Gwinnett Gladiators
- Countdown to Face-Off: K-Wings Vs Condors - Kalamazoo Wings
- Elmira Jackals Game Preview - Elmira Jackals
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati at Wheeling - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at South Carolina Stingrays - January 27 - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Today - January 27 - ECHL
- Stingrays Game Preview: Stingrays Host Orlando on Kid's Day - South Carolina Stingrays
- SF Bulls Held off by Aces, 2-1 - San Francisco Bulls
- Aces Hang on to Edge Bulls 2-1 - Alaska Aces
- Reed ignites Teddy Bear Toss with goal before 8,026 fans in Stockton - Stockton Thunder
- Grizzlies Tie Late; Beat Stockton in Overtime - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.