Barons Slip Past Rampage 3-2February 25, 2011 - American Hockey League (AHL) San Antonio Rampage
Rampage left wing Ryan Hollweg recorded a multiple-point night tallying the primary assist on both goals scored by San Antonio.
The Rampage were the first to jump on the scoreboard as right wing Matt Watkins scored his first power-play goal of the season 2:24 after the initial puck drop. Oklahoma City Barons goaltender Jeff Deslauriers redirected Hollweg's shot to the right goal post where Watkins skated in to tap the puck into the lower right corner of the net for a 1-0 lead.
Oklahoma City responded with a power-play goal of their own 10:25 into the first period to tie the game at 1-1. Former Rampage team captain Bryan Helmer assisted on left wing Alexandre Giroux's one-timer from above the right face off circle that went over Rampage netminder Matt Climie's right shoulder.
The Barons claimed a 2-1 advantage when right wing Zack Stortini received the puck in the slot after a failed clearing attempt by the Rampage and fired a shot that went to the stick side of Climie at the 3:52 mark of the second period.
Oklahoma City extended their lead to 3-1 when center Brad Moran gained control of the puck after Climie deflected it below the left face-off circle and snapped a shot into the upper left corner of the net 6:08 into the middle stanza.
After allowing three goals in 27 minutes, Rampage head coach Ray Edwards pulled substituted backup goaltender Joe Fallon for Climie.
San Antonio cut the Barons lead to 3-2 on Randy Robitaille's first goal of the season at the 2:03 mark of the third period. Hollweg passed to Robitaille giving him room to skate down the slot where he fired a shot that went into Deslauriers' glove, however the goalie was unable to handle the puck and allowed it to fall into the back of the net.
Edwards pulled Fallon with 45 seconds remaining in the contest in favor of a sixth attacker, but the Rampage were unable to capitalize on the man-advantage opportunity as the Barons sealed their victory at 3-2.
Climie and Fallon combined for 28 saves on 31 Barons shot attempts while Deslauriers turned aside 22 of 24 Rampage shot attempts.
The Rampage return home tomorrow night to host the Texas Stars and their eighth annual Military Appreciation Night at the AT&T Center. The game will be broadcasted on Fox Sports Southwest starting at 7 p.m.
American Hockey League Stories from February 25, 2011
- P-Bruins Shutout Heat 4-0 - Providence Bruins
- IceHogs Battle Past Rivermen 4-2 - Peoria Rivermen
- Griffins Beat Back Monsters, 5-3 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Falcons Beat Devils 5-2 - Springfield Falcons
- Admirals Shoot Past Checkers 4-3 - Norfolk Admirals
- Aeros Slip By Stars 4-3 In Overtime - Texas Stars
- Taffe's Tallies Help End Rockford's Losing Streak - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Bitten By Wolves - Milwaukee Admirals
- Cullen's Four-point Night Lifts Amerks Over Moose 5-3 - Rochester Americans
- Barons Slip Past Rampage 3-2 - San Antonio Rampage
- Sharks fall to Pirates 3-2 in Shootout - Worcester Sharks
- A Picture's Worth a Monarchs W - Manchester Monarchs
- Checkers Erase Three-goal Deficit, Fall In Shootout - Charlotte Checkers
- Bulldogs Power Past Phantoms 4-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Crunch Bumped by Binghamton, 7-4 - Syracuse Crunch
- Wolves Cast Away Admirals, 2-1 - Chicago Wolves
- Phantoms Point Streak Ends at Seven - Adirondack Phantoms
- Pirates Sink Sharks With Shootout Victory - Portland Pirates
- Moose Can't Match Amerks In 5-3 Loss - Manitoba Moose
- Devils Cool Down With Loss At Springfield - Albany Devils
- Monarchs Hang on for 4-3 Win Over Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Predators Recall Geoffrion, Halischuk - Milwaukee Admirals
- Ladies Night, Star Wars Night and Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Atlanta Assigns Maxwell to Chicago - Chicago Wolves
- Coyotes Recall MacLean from San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- Labatt's Celebrity Bartending Series Continues - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Reel in Hook for Ticket Staff - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Griffins Welcome Back Mursak - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Falcons Host Annual Floor Hockey Clinic - Springfield Falcons
- Oilers Recall Barons Goaltender Martin Gerber - Oklahoma City Barons
- Gustafsson Recalled by Philadelphia - Adirondack Phantoms
- Lightning Recall Goaltender Mike Smith from Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- B-Sens Season Tickets Go on Sale Saturday - Binghamton Senators
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
- Playoff Push Continues - Falcons Host Devils Tonight - Springfield Falcons
- Gameday Preview - Texas at Houston - Texas Stars
- B-Sens Reassign Defenseman Brennan Turner to Gwinnett - Binghamton Senators
- Senators Recall Forwards Corey Locke and Roman Wick from Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
- Goaltender Jaroslav Janus Reassigned to Admirals from ECHL's Florida Everblades - Norfolk Admirals
- Game Day: Amerks Look to Avoid Sweep Tonight Against Moose - Rochester Americans
- Panthers Recall Trio from Amerks; Reassign Ellerby to Rochester - Rochester Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.