Wranglers Take Game One 6-4, Grizzlies Look Toward Rematch at HomeApril 6, 2010 - ECHL (ECHL) Utah Grizzlies
Utah took a 1-0 lead just 35 seconds into the first period as Malcolm MacMillan blasted a shot from the circle.
Tied 1-1 entering the second period, Utah again scored early to wrap up a power-play as James Sixsmith fed Tim Maxwell cross ice for the score just 20 seconds into the middle frame.
The Grizzlies made it 3-1 just 1:23 later at 1:43 as Sixsmith fed Matt Clarke in the circle again. Clarke's shot was redirected home by Tim Crowder and Utah had a 3-1 lead. However, starting at the 5:16 mark, Las Vegas rattled off four-straight scores to take a 5-3 lead. Utah goaltender Mike Morrison, in relief of Mikko Koskinen, stopped a penalty-shot later in the second and another one early in the third to keep the 5-3 game intact.
Utah thought that they had scored early in the third period on the power-play to make it 5-4, but a redirection by Lance Galbraith was waved off after referee Andy Thiessen ruled the goal was tipped in with a high-stick.
The Grizzlies made it 6-4 on a Tim Maxwell score, again assisted by Sixsmith, 1:14 after a Las Vegas goal at 11:32 of the third period. However, the Grizzlies were never able to get anything else on Wranglers goaltender Jimmy Spratt, who stopped 17 of 21 shots from Utah.
Koskinen was replaced by Morrison following the fifth Las Vegas goal. Morrison stopped eight of nine shots to finish the game.
Game two of the series is scheduled for Wednesday at 8:05 p.m. and can be viewed at Legends Pub and Grill at 677 South and 200 West in Salt Lake City.
The series reverts to Utah for game three Saturday at 7:05 p.m.
ECHL Stories from April 6, 2010
- Wranglers Top Grizzlies, 6-4 - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Wranglers Take Game One 6-4, Grizzlies Look Toward Rematch at Home - Utah Grizzlies
- Jackals Fall to Everblades In Game 1, 4-3 - Elmira Jackals
- Everblades Win Game 1 Over Elmira 4-3 - Florida Everblades
- Royals Drop Game One to K-Wings in OT, 6-5 - Reading Royals
- K-Wings Take Game 1 With Thrilling Finish - Kalamazoo Wings
- Cyclones Use Big Second Period In 6-1 Win - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Stingrays Fall 6-1 to Cyclones in Playoff Opener - South Carolina Stingrays
- Checkers Stunned by Toledo In Opener - Charlotte Checkers
- Walleye Win Playoff Opener 7-2 - Toledo Walleye
- Condors begin playoff run at home this weekend - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Preview (Game 2): Stockton Thunder At Alaska Aces - Stockton Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Elmira Organization Fined - ECHL
- Weekly Arrowhead: End Of Season Report - Johnstown Chiefs
- Alaska's Sauer Named Reebok Hockey ECHL Goaltender Of The Week - ECHL
- Zanoski, Roberts Called Up To Syracuse - Gwinnett Gladiators
- Reading's Steiner Named Sher-Wood Hockey ECHL Player Of The Week - ECHL
- Countdown To Face-Off - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Get Four From AHL - Reading Royals
- Jackals Playoff Game Preview: Elmira At Florida, Game 1 - Elmira Jackals
- Daniel Steiner Named Sher-Wood Hockey ECHL Player Of The Week - Reading Royals
- Condors Announce 2010 Playoff Roster - Bakersfield Condors
- Jackals Announce Acquisitions, Playoff - Elmira Jackals
- Cyclones Playoff Roster Announced - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Laxdal Named ECHL Coach Of The Year - Idaho Steelheads
- Idaho's Laxdal Receives John Brophy Award - ECHL
- Checkers Playoff Roster Announced - Charlotte Checkers
- Stingrays Announce 2010 Playoff Roster - South Carolina Stingrays
- 2010 Kelly Cup Playoff Rosters - ECHL
- Bartlett, Rowe Join Checkers For Playoff Run - Charlotte Checkers
- Goaltender Ford Returns From AHL - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Aces Take Series Opener Behind Crum - Alaska Aces
- Crum's two goals lifts Alaska to late rally, lead series 1-0 - Stockton Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.