Peters, Peters, Monarchs EatersJanuary 8, 2010 - American Hockey League (AHL) Manchester Monarchs
Manchester (24-11-1-4) remains in first place in the Atlantic Division with 53 points. Albany (19-15-2-2) is in second place in the East Division with 42 points.
"Having watched the replay, it's clear to us we should have come away with the win," said Monarchs Head Coach Mark Morris. "(The River Rats) were able to finish on their opportunities and we came up shorthanded.
"We dominated throughout the game but a costly penalty at the end cost us a power play goal which tied it up and forced overtime and the shootout. The effort was there (in the shootout) but the execution could have been better."
Monarchs goaltender Jonathan Bernier stopped defenseman Jamie McBain in the shootout but could not hold off left wingers Jacob Mickflikier, Chris Terry or Drayson Bowman. Peters denied all three Monarchs shooters as centers Juraj Mikus, Corey Elkins and Gabe Gauthier could not find the back of the net.
Albany kicked off the scoring with Bowman's seventh goal of the season only 1:36 into the game. Mickflikier dumped the puck into the Monarchs zone and beat Manchester's defense to the puck along the end boards. Mickflikier sent the puck to the bottom of the left face-off circle where Bowman was positioned for the pass. Bowman snapped a shot on net that barely squeaked through Bernier's equipment before it trickled over the goal line.
Defenseman Viatcheslav Voynov tied the game at 1-1 with his seventh goal of the season at the 43-second mark of the third period. Left wing David Meckler won a battle along the left wing boards just inside the River Rats blueline and tossed the puck toward the center of the zone. Elkins nudged it over to right wing Richard Clune in the high slot. Clune carried the puck into the right face-off circle before he flipped a backhand shot at Peters. The netminder made the save and the rebound popped out to the slot for the one-timer by Voynov.
The Monarchs took a 2-1 lead with Cliche's 10th goal of the season at 3:44 of the final frame. Left wing Dwight King carried the puck down the right wing, behind the net and flicked a wrist shot at Peters. The puck bounced around the crease as right wing Kevin Westgarth swiped at it followed by Cliche burying it top shelf.
Tying the game at 15:54 of the third stanza, Albany pushed overtime and the shootout with a power play goal by left wing Nicolas Blandchard. Mickflikier cycled the puck to McBain at the right point. McBain stopped the puck and then blasted a shot that was deflected past Bernier by Blandchard for his fifth goal of the season.
It appeared as if Cliche had scored his second goal of the game at the 59-second point of the overtime period but the officials waived off the goal stating it was hit in with a high stick.
Bernier (17-9-4) took his fourth shootout loss of the season with 33 saves on 35 shots in regulation and overtime and one shootout save. Peters (11-10-2) earned his 11th win of the season stopping 38-of-40 in regulation and overtime followed by all three shootout snipers.
Manchester went 0-for-2 on the power play. Albany was 1-of-4 with the man advantage.
American Hockey League Stories from January 8, 2010
- Providence Holds Off Adirondack 3-1 - Adirondack Phantoms
- P-Bruins Defeat Phantoms 3-1 - Providence Bruins
- Texas falls in Abbotsford - Texas Stars
- Houston Aeros Score Three In Third To Defeat Rockford 5-3 - Houston Aeros
- Wamsley Picks Up First Win in Power-Play Clinic - Peoria Rivermen
- Falcons Lose To Sound Tigers 3-2 - Springfield Falcons
- Moose fed their first shootout loss in Hershey's hyped return - Manitoba Moose
- Peters, Peters, Monarchs Eaters - Manchester Monarchs
- 'Dogs munch Monsters 3-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Sound Tigers hold off Falcons - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Wolf Pack defeat Sharks - Connecticut Whale
- Goaltender Justin Peters Perfect In Shootout - Albany River Rats
- Admirals Attack Crunched by Lalande - Norfolk Admirals
- Sharks win streak ends at six, fall to Wolf Pack 5-2 - Worcester Sharks
- B-Sens win 4-3 over Portland - Binghamton Senators
- Moose show Olympic spirit on 'Go Canada Night' January 16th - Manitoba Moose
- Griffins double up Amerks; drop fourth straight - Rochester Americans
- Senators Slip Past the Pirates - Portland Pirates
- Kellan Lutz Cancels Second Appearance - Peoria Rivermen
- Coyotes re-assign Porter to San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- Canucks Recall Evan Oberg - Manitoba Moose
- Moose Sign Jimmy Sharrow To PTO - Manitoba Moose
- O'Reilly, Santorelli Switch Places - Milwaukee Admirals
- Amerks Host Griffins At Blue Cross Arena - Rochester Americans
- Ottawa Senators Recall Forwards Zack Smith And Martin St. Pierre From Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
- Dallas Recalls Warren Peters From Texas - Texas Stars
- San Jose Sharks Recall Forward John McCarthy From Worcester - Worcester Sharks
- Whitfield Recalled By Boston, Marquardt Returns From Reading - Providence Bruins
- B-Sens Assign Goaltender Andy Chiodo To Elmira; Sign Forward Max Gratchev - Binghamton Senators
- Falcons Set To Host Sound Tigers Tonight - Springfield Falcons
- Calgary Flames Flames Recall Jamie Lundmark From Heat - Abbotsford Heat
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.