P-Bruins Defeat Sharks in a Shootout 3-2December 26, 2008 - American Hockey League (AHL) Providence Bruins
The P-Burins took a 1-0 advantage in the opening period at the 6:42 mark, while on the power play. Johnny Boychuk sent the puck through the neutral zone to Peter Schaefer down the left wing. He found Karsums in the slot as Karsums tallied his 13th goal of the season. Providence took a 1-0 lead into the first intermission.
In the second period, the Sharks tied the game at one at the 12:07 mark while on a 5-on-3 power play. Derek Joslin netted his seventh goal of the season, with Patrick Traverse and Cory Larose recording the assists. The game went into the second intermission tied at two.
In the third period, the P-Bruins retook the lead at the 8:13 mark. Jeff Penner controlled the puck in his own zone before working it ahead to Karsums. He found Rabbit cutting down the right side and from the right face off circle Rabbit banked the puck off the crossbar and into the net for his fifth goal of the season. Later in the period, the Sharks tied the game at two at the 15:44 mark. Lukas Kaspar scored his fifth goal of the season, while Mike Moore and Steven Zalewski grabbed the assists. The game went into overtime tied at two.
After a scoreless overtime, the game went into a shootout when Lehtonen started off the scoring in round one, giving Providence the lead. In round two the Sharks' Ryan Vesce tied the shootout at one. Providence retook the shootout lead in round three with a Karsums goal and after neither side was able to score the rest of the way, the P-Bruins went on to the 3-2 shootout victory.
Tuukka Rask stopped 46 of 48 shots he faced for the P-Bruins, while Thomas Greiss made 18 saves for the Sharks. The P-Bruins were 1-for-3 on the power play and 5-for-6 on the penalty kill.
American Hockey League Stories from December 26, 2008
- First Regulation Loss to Toronto on Friday - Lake Erie Monsters
- Haley scores first goal of the season in Sound Tigers' victory over Hartford - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Houston Falls 5-3 to San Antonio Snapping Aeros Nine-Game Point Streak - Houston Aeros
- Admirals Get by Flames 4-2 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Hogs Finish Off Wolves 6-2 at Metrocentre - Rockford IceHogs
- Fletcher Caps Comeback in 4-3 Overtime Win - Peoria Rivermen
- B-Sens Sink Crunch in OT - Binghamton Senators
- Man-Advantage Struggles Hurt Phantoms In 4-0 Loss To Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Adirondack Phantoms
- Falcons Lose To Monarchs 3-1 - Springfield Falcons
- Monarchs Unwrap Fifth Place - Manchester Monarchs
- Admirals Sink Flames 4-2 - Abbotsford Heat
- Griffins Fall to Rivermen in OT, 4-3 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wolf Pack Lose to Sound Tigers 3-1 - Connecticut Whale
- Bulldogs Snap Streak With 2-1 Loss - Hamilton Bulldogs
- University School, Arrowhead Advance in RBC Wealth Management High School Hockey Showdown - Milwaukee Admirals
- Aeros' host fourth annual Guns and Hoses night Tuesday, December 30 - Houston Aeros
- Christmas Not So Kind to Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Sharks Fight Back but Tuukka Steals Show - Worcester Sharks
- P-Bruins Defeat Sharks in a Shootout 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- Montreal Recalls Kyle Chipchura and Max Pacioretty - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Bertram, Fallon Recalled to Rockford, Wolves and Hogs Clash Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- Free T-shirt this Saturday; Chops Jerseys have Arrived - Iowa Chops
- Aeros Battle Rampage Tonight, Host Annual Bikini Contest - Houston Aeros
- Senators Recall Defenseman Brian Lee - Binghamton Senators
- WTIC NewsTalk 1080 to Air Saturday's Wolf Pack Game - Connecticut Whale
- Amerks Host Hamilton Tonight - Rochester Americans
- Brad Brown signed to AHL contract - Abbotsford Heat
- B-Sens Sign Forward Aaron Clarke - Binghamton Senators
- Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins partner with Luzerne County to collect unused cell phones - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Penguins Recall Paul Bissonnette And Dustin Jeffrey - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Falcons Host The Monarchs Tonight - Springfield Falcons
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
- Worcester Sharks Team Up With March Of Dimes - Worcester Sharks
- Crunch Recall Ryan Garlock and Blair Yaworski - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Look to Stay Hot at Home - Grand Rapids Griffins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.