Crunch Skid Hits SevenDecember 17, 2008 - American Hockey League (AHL) Syracuse Crunch
The Crunch did not get off to the start they wanted when defenseman Grant Clitsome was called for hooking only 1:23 into the game.
Just 58 seconds later, the Griffins made it 1-0 when Darren Haydar's blast from the point found the back of the net through a screened Dan LaCosta, making his first start since missing three games with a back injury.
Grand Rapids did not let up and went up by a 2-0 count at the 9:42 mark of the first. Aaron Downey connected on a home run pass to Darren Helm, who split the Crunch defense up the middle and put a shot past LaCosta.
The Griffins outshot the Crunch by a 17-7 margin in the period.
The bad breaks continued for Syracuse as the Griffins took a 3-0 lead when Mattias Ritola found a wide open Francis Pare in front of the net who punched the puck past LaCosta at the 12:12 mark of the second.
The Crunch answered back and got back to within two goals just 12 seconds later though, as Mike York tallied his seventh of the campaign off a feed from Derek MacKenzie to make it 3-1.
Syracuse had a golden opportunity to close the gap to 3-2 late in the second, but Grand Rapids broke in on a shorthanded 2-on-1 and Ville Leino snuck one by LaCosta on the backhand to extend Grand Rapids' lead to 4-1. Shots were 25-16 in favor of the Griffins after two.
The Crunch could not get anything going offensively in the third period and October AHL Rookie of the Month Justin Abdelkader fired a slapper over the shoulder of LaCosta to make it a 5-1 game with just under five minutes to play.
CRUNCHABLES: The Crunch let up the first goal for the fourth straight game tonight...Dan LaCosta has given up three or more goals in each of his last four starts...Left wing Mark Bomersback made his Crunch debut...The Crunch have scored 31 goals in 17 road games...Syracuse dropped to 0-6-0-0 in the month of December...Syracuse native Jimmy Howard was between the pipes for Grand Rapids tonight.
American Hockey League Stories from December 17, 2008
- Monarchs Run Out Of Time In Manitoba - Manchester Monarchs
- Moose Earn 20th Win of the Season - Manitoba Moose
- Raduns Ends Filibuster With Overtime Goal To Push Phantoms Past Senators, 3-2 - Adirondack Phantoms
- Griffins Hammer Crunch, 5-1 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wolf Pack Beat Bruins, 3-2 - Connecticut Whale
- Ramo Stops 26 as Admirals Top River Rats - Norfolk Admirals
- Ramo, Admirals March By River Rats 2-1 - Norfolk Admirals
- P-Bruins Fall to Wolf Pack 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Skid Hits Seven - Syracuse Crunch
- Single-Game Lake Monster Tickets On Sale This Monday - Lake Erie Monsters
- Monarchs Celebrate The Holidays - Manchester Monarchs
- Teddy Bears, Ornaments and Bulldogs This Friday - Manchester Monarchs
- Marlies Recall Max Taylor From Reading - Toronto Marlies
- Teddy Bear Toss Kicks Off Big Weekend - Peoria Rivermen
- Admirals to Hold Holiday Ornament Auction on Friday - Norfolk Admirals
- Help the Pirates Support Make-A-Wish Stories of Light - Portland Pirates
- AHL players featured in 2008-09 Heroes & Prospects trading card set - AHL
- San Jose Sharks reassign forward Matt Jones to Worcester - Worcester Sharks
- Pittsburgh Penguins Recall Forwards Jeff Taffe And Ryan Stone - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Flames Teams With Genesis To Offer Fans Discounted Tickets For December 27th Game - Abbotsford Heat
- Wedding Contest Application Fast Approaching - Rockford IceHogs
- Win A Trip To Tampa Bay To See The Blackhawks - Rockford IceHogs
- Jonas Junland Recalled By Blues - Peoria Rivermen
- Falcons Partner With Western MA Regional Library System - Springfield Falcons
- Falcons Partner With Habitat For Humanity - Springfield Falcons
- Fifth Annual Toys For Tots Dinner A Huge Success - Binghamton Senators
- Crunch Announce Details of MVP Health Care 'Take on Life and Live Well' Post-Game Skate - Syracuse Crunch
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
- Captain Tim Conboy Back In Albany After NHL Stint - Albany River Rats
- Hurricanes Activate Kaberle From Injured Reserve - Albany River Rats
- Houston Aeros visit Milwaukee Admirals tonight at 7 p.m. - Houston Aeros
- Monarchs Recall Zatkoff - Manchester Monarchs
- Crunch Release Goaltender Ryan Munce - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Battle Crunch Tonight - Grand Rapids Griffins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.