Woodchucks Jump ahead Early in Win
ASHWAUBENON, WI - Clayton Mehlbauer homered, Bryson Hill drove in three runs, and Tyler Hoeft pitched six sparkling innings as the Woodchucks cruised to a 9-4 road victory over the Green Bay Booyah.
Using a three-run first inning against Booyah starter Caleb Reis, the Woodchucks jumped ahead and led wire to wire. Bryson Hill's sacrifice fly plated Noah Fitzgerald before Clayton Mehlbauer took the first pitch of his at-bat over the right field wall to drive in Brandon Trammell and put the Woodchucks ahead 3-0.
Hill, who finished with three RBI, tallied another when his 3rd inning single brought home Kevin Kilpatrick. The very next at-bat, Mehlbauer narrowly missed a second home run to right field. He settled for a sacrifice fly that put the Woodchucks ahead 5-0.
Meanwhile, starting pitcher Tyler Hoeft kept the Booyah bats quiet over six innings of one-run ball. He allowed just two hits and two walks, striking out six to pick up his first win of the year.
After Green Bay got on the board in the bottom of the 5th, Brandon Trammell's two-run single broke the game open in the top of the 6th. Tyler MacGregor and Tyler Kehoe both scored on the play. The Woodchucks finished the game with nine runs, raising their road average to 5 runs per game.
The 'Chucks are now 7-2 on the season and 5-1 on the road.
Mehlbauer and Hill each drove in three runs on the evening.
Brandon Trammell was 2-for-4 at the plate with three runs scored and two RBI.
Hoeft is now 1-0 with a 0.82 ERA through 11 innings pitched on the season. He's tallied 12 strikeouts through his first two starts.
Peyton Schofield and Dylan MacCallum saw work out of the bullpen tonight, striking out two each in their relief outings.
The Woodchucks begin a four-game homestand tomorrow as they welcome the Fond du Lac Dock Spiders to Athletic Park in a series that will determine who takes first place in the Great Lakes West Division. They'll host the Kokomo Jackrabbits over the weekend before traveling to Mequon on Monday.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from June 9, 2021
- Woodchucks Jump ahead Early in Win - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Stingers Fall to Waterloo 4-2 - Willmar Stingers
- Booyah Winning Streak Snapped at Three - Green Bay Booyah
- Kingfish Drop Game Two to Madison 7-1 - Kenosha Kingfish
- Mallards Cruise to 7-1 Victory in Kenosha - Madison Mallards
- Final Game of Road Trip Suspended Due to Rain - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Bombers and Pit Spitters Suspended Mid Game - Battle Creek Bombers
- Booyah Look to Start Home Winning Streak - Green Bay Booyah
- Dock Spiders to Meet Rafters at Herr-Baker - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Former Logger Riley Adams Makes MLB Debut - La Crosse Loggers
- Former Eau Claire Express Pitcher Griffin Jax Debuts with the Twins - Eau Claire Express
- Former Eau Claire Express Pitcher Griffin Jax Debuts with the Twins - Northwoods
- Former La Crosse Logger Riley Adams Debuts with the Blue Jays - Northwoods
- Rox Stun Rochester with Back-To-Back Home Runs in the Ninth - Rochester Honkers
- Rough Third Plagues Growlers in Defeat to Chinooks - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Loggers Beat Huskies 6-3, Roll to 3rd Straight Win - La Crosse Loggers
- Rivets Pull Through Late in Pitchers Duel at Kokomo - Rockford Rivets
- MoonDogs Drop Third Straight in Battle with Larks Tuesday - Mankato MoonDogs
- The Kingfish Come Alive in the Eighth to Win 7-4 - Kenosha Kingfish
- Bombers Score Season-High 10 Runs in Win over Traverse City - Battle Creek Bombers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.