Winnipeg Goldeyes Top Saints 4-2 in Fifth-Inning Rally
WINNIPEG, MB - The Winnipeg Goldeyes (21-21) can happily celebrate Canada Day, achieving a 4-2 win over the Saint Paul Saints (22-20) at Shaw Park on Sunday afternoon.
With the Saints leading 1-0 into the bottom of the fifth, Matt McCann hit a leadoff single to left field. Josh Romanski followed up with a single down right. Romanski capitalized on a throwing error by Saints right-fielder Max Murphy and picked up an extra base. With both runners in scoring distance, a wild pitch at the hand of Saints catcher Aaron Gretz scored McCann and tied the game. The Saints had initially scored in the third, from a throwing error by Jamey Smart, that brought Richard Prigatano to home plate.
Reggie Abercrombie followed up Romanski with an RBI single through centre, bringing Romanski home and giving the Fish the go-ahead run. Next, Grant Heyman and Andrew Sohn drew back-to-back walks from Saints starting pitcher Dan Johnson, loading the bases. During Heyman's at-bat, Abercrombie stole second base - making it the 499th steal of his career. Rookie first-baseman Smart came through with a two-run single to centrefield to score Abercrombie and Heyman, giving the Fish a 4-1 lead. Saints right-hander Ryan Schlosser took over for Johnson and threw a double-play to end the inning.
Schlosser proceeded to throw four more scoreless innings, holding the Fish at four runs for the rest of the game. Johnson took the loss, allowing four runs (four earned) on eight hits, with three strikeouts over five-and-a-third innings. Goldeyes starting pitcher Mitchell Lambson picked up the win, throwing four strikeouts and allowing one run (one unearned) on nine hits over six innings.
In the seventh, relief pitcher Jack Charleston stepped in for Lambson. Charleston allowed one run (one unearned), giving the Saints their final run of the game. Noah Perio Jr. brought Burt Reynolds home on a single just out of reach from Goldeyes shortstop Sohn. Cameron McVey and Victor Capellan followed up with scoreless innings. Capellan earned the save.
Tomorrow, the Goldeyes begin a three-game series on the road against the Sioux City Explorers, followed by a four-game series against the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks. The Fish return home on Monday, July 9th, where they begin a four-game series against the Sioux Falls Canaries. Tickets for all Goldeyes' home games are on sale now by visiting www.ticketmaster.ca/Goldeyes, or visiting any Ticketmaster location, including the box office at Shaw Park.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 1, 2018
- Birds Drop Finale to AirHogs in Ninth - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Railroaders Power Way to Series Win - Cleburne Railroaders
- Robichaux's Complete Game Shutout Highlights Doubleheader Split - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Gary Splits Sunday Doubleheader with Lincoln - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Winnipeg Goldeyes Top Saints 4-2 in Fifth-Inning Rally - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Cunningham Named Player of the Month - Kansas City T-Bones
- Dogs Take out the Brooms, Earn First Sweep in Franchise History - Chicago Dogs
- Sioux City Overpowers Wingnuts to Complete Sweep - Wichita Wingnuts
- Splitsville, Saints Drop Series Finale 4-2 to Goldeyes - St. Paul Saints
- Vernia Named Pitcher of the Month - Sioux City Explorers
- A Comeback and a Blowout for the X's - Sioux City Explorers
- Kansas City Outlasts Cleburne in Another Close Matchup - Kansas City T-Bones
- Bullpen Struggles as Explorers Double up Wichita - Wichita Wingnuts
- Strong Pitching Bolsters Dogs in 4-1 Win - Chicago Dogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.