Bullpen Struggles as Explorers Double up Wichita
WICHITA, Kan. - The Sioux City Explorers scored 18 runs over the final three innings to turn an 8-2 deficit into a 20-10 win over the Wichita Wingnuts on Saturday night at Lawrence-Dumont Stadium.
The Wingnuts (25-15) raced out to an 8-2 lead after six innings, plating four runs in the second, one apiece in the third and fifth and then two more in the sixth. That's when things turn a turn for the worse, as Sioux City (31-10) exploded for six runs in each of the last three frames. The damage started against Felix Carvallo in the seventh, as the Explorers plated six on six hits and two errors to tie the game at 8-8.
Six more runs crossed to put the Explorers in front in the eighth. Jose Sermo highlighted the inning with a grand slam off Wingnuts reliever Seth Harvey (4-1). The Explorers then added yet another six-run inning in the ninth, before Leo Vargas came in to record the final two outs. The Wingnuts got a pair of runs in the bottom of the ninth to produce the game's final margin.
The 20 runs allowed is the most in franchise history for the Wingnuts. The 24 hits allowed equals the most surrendered by Wingnuts pitchers in a single game.
Tyler Fallwell (2-1) picked up the win with two scoreless innings in relief for the Explorers. The game was delayed just shy of an hour due to rain, then lasted 3:54 for the Wingnuts longest game of the season.
The Wingnuts wrap up their series with the Explorers on Sunday. First pitch is scheduled for 1:05 PM, and will be broadcast on 1410 AM/93.9 FM KGSO, TuneIn and americanassociationbaseball.tv.
For information on season tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Wingnuts main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 1, 2018
- Birds Drop Finale to AirHogs in Ninth - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Railroaders Power Way to Series Win - Cleburne Railroaders
- Robichaux's Complete Game Shutout Highlights Doubleheader Split - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Gary Splits Sunday Doubleheader with Lincoln - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Winnipeg Goldeyes Top Saints 4-2 in Fifth-Inning Rally - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Cunningham Named Player of the Month - Kansas City T-Bones
- Dogs Take out the Brooms, Earn First Sweep in Franchise History - Chicago Dogs
- Sioux City Overpowers Wingnuts to Complete Sweep - Wichita Wingnuts
- Splitsville, Saints Drop Series Finale 4-2 to Goldeyes - St. Paul Saints
- Vernia Named Pitcher of the Month - Sioux City Explorers
- A Comeback and a Blowout for the X's - Sioux City Explorers
- Kansas City Outlasts Cleburne in Another Close Matchup - Kansas City T-Bones
- Bullpen Struggles as Explorers Double up Wichita - Wichita Wingnuts
- Strong Pitching Bolsters Dogs in 4-1 Win - Chicago Dogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.