Strong Pitching Bolsters Dogs in 4-1 Win
Rosemont, Ill. - A second straight strong pitching performance and timely hitting propelled the Dogs to a series victory, as they defeated the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks 4-1 Saturday night at Impact Field.
Chicago held the RedHawks to just one run for the second straight night, as five Dogs pitchers scattered eight hits en route to the second consecutive win for Chicago.
Dogs starter Michael Wagner earned the win for Chicago, logging five and two-thirds innings, while allowing just one run, and striking out a season-high six.
Chicago shortstop Michael Baca delivered a clutch hit for the Dogs in the bottom of the fifth with a two-out, two-run single on the tenth pitch of his at-bat. Chicago added a run on a Dalton Blaser RBI double in the sixth, and one more on a Matt Dean solo home run in the seventh.
A Brennan Metzger solo home run accounted for the only RedHawks run of the game. Fargo has scored both their runs in the series via the long ball.
Kaohi Downing worked a scoreless ninth inning for his eighth save of the season.
The Dogs will look for their first sweep in franchise history Sunday as they send opening night starter Josh Goossen-Brown to the hill against Reese Gregory.
Frist pitch from Impact Field is scheduled for 1:05 p.m. The game will be broadcast at www.thechicagodogs.com/broadcasts/ with the Crowne Plaza Pregame Show beginning at 12:45 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 1, 2018
- Birds Drop Finale to AirHogs in Ninth - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Railroaders Power Way to Series Win - Cleburne Railroaders
- Robichaux's Complete Game Shutout Highlights Doubleheader Split - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Gary Splits Sunday Doubleheader with Lincoln - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Winnipeg Goldeyes Top Saints 4-2 in Fifth-Inning Rally - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Cunningham Named Player of the Month - Kansas City T-Bones
- Dogs Take out the Brooms, Earn First Sweep in Franchise History - Chicago Dogs
- Sioux City Overpowers Wingnuts to Complete Sweep - Wichita Wingnuts
- Splitsville, Saints Drop Series Finale 4-2 to Goldeyes - St. Paul Saints
- Vernia Named Pitcher of the Month - Sioux City Explorers
- A Comeback and a Blowout for the X's - Sioux City Explorers
- Kansas City Outlasts Cleburne in Another Close Matchup - Kansas City T-Bones
- Bullpen Struggles as Explorers Double up Wichita - Wichita Wingnuts
- Strong Pitching Bolsters Dogs in 4-1 Win - Chicago Dogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.