Vernia Named Pitcher of the Month
SIOUX CITY, IA - Today Sioux City Explorers starting pitcher Justin Vernia was named the American Association player of the month for June.
Vernia in the month of June compiled a 4-0 record and three quality starts in his five starts with a 2.64 ERA. He pitched 30.2 innings in the month racking up 29 strikeouts and allowing just 5 walks. He held opponent batters to just a .248 batting average over that time.
The Explorers were 5-0 in the month of June in games which Vernia started. And He had three dominating outings to finish off the month. In all three starts going seven innings, allowing one run or less, allowing just five hits or less and striking out 6 or more in those three starts, with two coming against the Gary SouthShore RailCats and one opposing the Saint Paul Saints.
On the 2018 season Vernia has a 5-1 record with a 3.33 ERA. Vernia is in his second season of professional baseball and has made a total of 14 starts with the Sioux City Explorers between the 2017 and 2018 season.
Prior to joining the Explorers, Vernia spent his first two collegiate seasons pitching for Tacoma Community College where he went a perfect 22-0, earning NWAC West Division MVP, while also being named First Team All-NWAC both seasons. The Spokane, WA native finished his collegiate career at Gonzaga University, earning WCC All-Academic Honorable Mention accolades as a senior, going 7-3 in 14 starts with a 3.11 ERA. In his 4 collegiate seasons, Vernia owns an impressive 30-5 record, including 9 complete games and 5 shutouts, to go along with his 2.72 career ERA.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 1, 2018
- Birds Drop Finale to AirHogs in Ninth - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Railroaders Power Way to Series Win - Cleburne Railroaders
- Robichaux's Complete Game Shutout Highlights Doubleheader Split - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Gary Splits Sunday Doubleheader with Lincoln - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Winnipeg Goldeyes Top Saints 4-2 in Fifth-Inning Rally - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Cunningham Named Player of the Month - Kansas City T-Bones
- Dogs Take out the Brooms, Earn First Sweep in Franchise History - Chicago Dogs
- Sioux City Overpowers Wingnuts to Complete Sweep - Wichita Wingnuts
- Splitsville, Saints Drop Series Finale 4-2 to Goldeyes - St. Paul Saints
- Vernia Named Pitcher of the Month - Sioux City Explorers
- A Comeback and a Blowout for the X's - Sioux City Explorers
- Kansas City Outlasts Cleburne in Another Close Matchup - Kansas City T-Bones
- Bullpen Struggles as Explorers Double up Wichita - Wichita Wingnuts
- Strong Pitching Bolsters Dogs in 4-1 Win - Chicago Dogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.