Sioux City Overpowers Wingnuts to Complete Sweep
WICHITA, Kan. - 18 hits from the Sioux City offense powered the Explorers to a 10-4 win over the Wichita Wingnuts on Sunday afternoon at Lawrence-Dumont Stadium. The victory secured a three-game sweep for Sioux City.
The Explorers (32-10) struck first on a solo home run from Jose Sermo to take a 1-0 lead in the second against Wichita starter Casey Harman (5-2). Wichita (25-16) moved in front with a pair of runs in the bottom of the third, as Hunter Clanin tripled home Ryne Willard and Logan Watkins followed with an RBI single for a 2-1 lead.
That advantage would prove to be short lived, as Sioux City tied the game up on Sermo's RBI single in the top of the fourth. The Explorers then took the lead back in the fifth when Jay Austin doubled home a pair of runs, making the score 4-2. Sermo was at it again in the sixth, pounding his second solo homer of the day for a 5-2 lead. The Sioux City third baseman finished the three-game series 9-for-15 with three home runs and 13 RBI.
Wichita managed to claw back within 5-4 thanks to a pair of runs in the sixth. Fernando Perez lined an RBI single off starter Taylor Jordan (6-1), then Tony Thomas beat out a fielder's choice grounder with the bases loaded to trim into the deficit. However, Sioux City put the game away with three runs in the eighth and two more in the ninth to produce the game's final margin.
The Wingnuts will be off on Monday before welcoming in the Lincoln Saltdogs for a three-game series beginning on Tuesday at Lawrence-Dumont Stadium. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 PM, and will be broadcast on 1410 AM/93.9 FM KGSO, TuneIn and americanassociationbaseball.tv.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 1, 2018
- Birds Drop Finale to AirHogs in Ninth - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Railroaders Power Way to Series Win - Cleburne Railroaders
- Robichaux's Complete Game Shutout Highlights Doubleheader Split - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Gary Splits Sunday Doubleheader with Lincoln - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Winnipeg Goldeyes Top Saints 4-2 in Fifth-Inning Rally - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Cunningham Named Player of the Month - Kansas City T-Bones
- Dogs Take out the Brooms, Earn First Sweep in Franchise History - Chicago Dogs
- Sioux City Overpowers Wingnuts to Complete Sweep - Wichita Wingnuts
- Splitsville, Saints Drop Series Finale 4-2 to Goldeyes - St. Paul Saints
- Vernia Named Pitcher of the Month - Sioux City Explorers
- A Comeback and a Blowout for the X's - Sioux City Explorers
- Kansas City Outlasts Cleburne in Another Close Matchup - Kansas City T-Bones
- Bullpen Struggles as Explorers Double up Wichita - Wichita Wingnuts
- Strong Pitching Bolsters Dogs in 4-1 Win - Chicago Dogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA