Kansas City Outlasts Cleburne in Another Close Matchup
CLEBURNE, TX - The Kansas City T-Bones (25-14) got the bats going early in the Texas heat against the Cleburne Railroaders (14-25) on Saturday night to even the series with a 7-4 win.
Todd Cunningham lead off the first inning with a single that brought Nick Torres to the plate. Torres then drove in Cunningham with a triple to put Kansas City on the board off Cleburne starter Michael Gunn. A fielder's choice to short from Zach Walters drove in Torres to put the T-Bones ahead 2-0.
Cleburne made a comeback in the third inning with help from Blake Grant-Parks and KC Huth who both singled to start off the inning against T-Bones righty Tommy Collier. Trevor Sealey was next up to the plate and advanced to first on a fielder's choice. Levi Scott drove in two runs off a much-needed double from Levi Scott to tie the game at two.
In the sixth inning, Todd Cunningham singled to get things going for Kansas City. Zach Walters then advanced to first on a fielder's choice putting Cunningham in scoring position. A walk from Taylor Featherston loaded the bases and brought Dexter Kjerstad to the plate. A wild pitch from Will Mathis advanced all runners and scored Cunningham to increase the T-Bones lead to 3-2. A sacrifice fly from Adrien Nieto and a single from Tucker Pennell brought in Walters and Featherston to put the score at 5-2.
Cleburne didn't stay quiet for long. A two-run home run from former T-Bone Angel Rosa put the Railroaders right back in the game in the bottom of the sixth inning with KC leading it 5-4.
The T-Bones' seventh and eighth innings proved to be the difference maker in this matchup. A sacrifice fly to left field from Zach Walters drove in Dylan Tice in the top of the seventh, followed by a ground-rule double from Cunningham in the eighth that would score Mason Davis, giving Kansas City a 7-4 lead.
Kansas City's Tommy Collier (3-3) got the win and Carlos Diaz came in to close the game out, earning his sixth save of the season. Cleburne's Michael Gunn was credited with the loss dropping his record to 1-1.
Sunday's rubber match will be at The Depot at Cleburne Station in Cleburne, Texas. The first pitch is 6:05 pm, and you can listen to the Voice of the T-Bones, Dan Vaughan, call the game live on http://mixlr.com/t-bones-baseball/?. RHP Hunter Adkins (1-2, 4.29) of Kansas City will face RHP Jared Mortenson (1-2, 2.50) in the series finale.
?Individual tickets, season, group, mini-plans and nightly party suites are on sale now and can be purchased by visiting the Box Office at T-Bones Stadium or 24/7 at ?www.tbonesbaseball.com?. Box office hours are 10:00 am to 4:00 pm Monday - Friday and 10:00 am to 2:00 pm Saturday. For additional information or interview requests, members of the media may contact the T-Bones Media Relations Department at ?(817) 739-3693?. Stay tuned to www.tbonesbaseball.com and the T-Bones Facebook and Twitter pages for updates throughout the season.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 1, 2018
- Birds Drop Finale to AirHogs in Ninth - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Railroaders Power Way to Series Win - Cleburne Railroaders
- Robichaux's Complete Game Shutout Highlights Doubleheader Split - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Gary Splits Sunday Doubleheader with Lincoln - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Winnipeg Goldeyes Top Saints 4-2 in Fifth-Inning Rally - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Cunningham Named Player of the Month - Kansas City T-Bones
- Dogs Take out the Brooms, Earn First Sweep in Franchise History - Chicago Dogs
- Sioux City Overpowers Wingnuts to Complete Sweep - Wichita Wingnuts
- Splitsville, Saints Drop Series Finale 4-2 to Goldeyes - St. Paul Saints
- Vernia Named Pitcher of the Month - Sioux City Explorers
- A Comeback and a Blowout for the X's - Sioux City Explorers
- Kansas City Outlasts Cleburne in Another Close Matchup - Kansas City T-Bones
- Bullpen Struggles as Explorers Double up Wichita - Wichita Wingnuts
- Strong Pitching Bolsters Dogs in 4-1 Win - Chicago Dogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.