Gary Splits Sunday Doubleheader with Lincoln
Lincoln, Neb. - The Gary SouthShore RailCats split their Sunday doubleheader with the Lincoln Saltdogs at Haymarket Park after Saturday's game was postponed due to rain. Gary bashed a season-high four home runs en route to a 5-2 game one win but failed to complete the doubleheader sweep after getting shutout, 1-0, in game two. Despite losing two out of three to Lincoln, Gary still remains in first place in the North Division.
Gary (22-19) took the opening leading lead in game on Reggie Wilson's leadoff home run down the right field line on the second pitch of the afternoon. The home run was Wilson's first of the year and the RailCats 12th as a club.
Lincoln (24-18) quickly countered in game one with a run in the bottom of the first on a two-out RBI single from Curt Smith. The Saltdogs took their first lead of the doubleheader with another run in the second. With the bases loaded and no outs, Ivan Marin delivered a sacrifice fly to the left field warning track, bringing Randolph Oduber in to score from third.
The 'Cats regained the lead with a pair of home runs in the fourth. Colin Willis tied the game at 2-2 with his team-high fifth home run to open the inning before Alex Crosby made it 3-2 with a two-out home run to right-center. Wilfredo Gimenez increased the Gary lead to 5-2 with a two-out, two-run home run over the left field lawn seating area on a 3-0 pitch in the sixth.
Brendan Jenkins (2-0) recorded his second straight win in game one with two scoreless innings of relief while Adam Quintana (3) struck out five of the six batters he faced in the six-out save for Gary. Mike Tamburino (4-2) suffered his second straight defeat for Lincoln after allowing five runs on eight hits (four home runs), no walks and four strikeouts over six innings.
Smith produced the only run in game two with a two-out RBI double off the left field wall on a hop in in the first. The two-out RBI double for Smith was his second RBI in as many games and his sixth of the series.
Jeff McKenzie (2-4) was charged with his fourth consecutive loss despite retiring the final 10 batters he faced and allowing just one run on two hits, two walks, a hit batsman and a strikeout in the complete game performance. Austin Robichaux (2-3) threw his first complete game shutout in his first career start vs. Gary to give the Saltdogs the series. The right-hander allowed just one baserunner to reach third base and yielded four hits, a walk and five strikeouts.
The RailCats continue their five-game road trip on Monday night at 7:05 p.m. against the Chicago Dogs. RHP Daniel Minor (6-2, 6-2, 2.77) makes his league-high 11th start in the series opener for Gary while Chicago has yet to announce their starting pitcher.
Gary returns home to U.S. Steel Yard on Wednesday, July 4th, for a scheduled doubleheader against the Chicago Dogs at 5 p.m. Wednesday's game is the fifth "Office Wednesday" of the year, another NorthShore Health Centers Wednesday, and the second annual 4th of Juluau Pig Roast, presented by Berey Bros, and Barefoot Hawaiian Luau with Fire Dancers. Wednesday's game is Independence Day and will feature a classic egg toss between games and an Independence Day Fireworks Super Show after game two of the doubleheader. Fans can also sign up for the "Office Olympics" Jersey Auction during either game on Wednesday vs. Chicago.
Jared Shlensky and Brennan Mense bring you all 100 RailCats game this season on WEFM (95.9 FM) and online at railcatsbaseball.com. Ticket packages for the 2018 Gary SouthShore RailCats season are available online at railcatsbaseball.com and can also be purchased by calling the RailCats ticket line at (219) 882-BALL. The RailCats box office is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 1, 2018
- Birds Drop Finale to AirHogs in Ninth - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Railroaders Power Way to Series Win - Cleburne Railroaders
- Robichaux's Complete Game Shutout Highlights Doubleheader Split - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Gary Splits Sunday Doubleheader with Lincoln - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Winnipeg Goldeyes Top Saints 4-2 in Fifth-Inning Rally - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Cunningham Named Player of the Month - Kansas City T-Bones
- Dogs Take out the Brooms, Earn First Sweep in Franchise History - Chicago Dogs
- Sioux City Overpowers Wingnuts to Complete Sweep - Wichita Wingnuts
- Splitsville, Saints Drop Series Finale 4-2 to Goldeyes - St. Paul Saints
- Vernia Named Pitcher of the Month - Sioux City Explorers
- A Comeback and a Blowout for the X's - Sioux City Explorers
- Kansas City Outlasts Cleburne in Another Close Matchup - Kansas City T-Bones
- Bullpen Struggles as Explorers Double up Wichita - Wichita Wingnuts
- Strong Pitching Bolsters Dogs in 4-1 Win - Chicago Dogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gary SouthShore Railcats Stories
- RailCats Announce the Greens at the Steel Yard Event
- Gary SouthShore RailCats, Schaumburg Boomers to Add Black Lives Matters Patches to Team Jerseys
- RailCats Announce New Special Events and Facility Rental Opportunities
- RailCats 2020 Season Suspended Due to COVID-19 Pandemic
- RailCats Partner with Rieth-Riley for Free Boxed Lunch Distribution on Friday, May 22nd