A Comeback and a Blowout for the X's
Wichita, KS - The Sioux City Explorers came back from being down 8-2 at the end of six innings, scoring six runs in each of the final three innings that they came to the plate and took down the Wichita Wingnuts by a score of 20-10 in game two of the three game series.
The Wingnuts opened up the scoring in the second inning with a four run rally highlighted by RBI singles by Logan Trowbridge, Hunter Clanin and a two run double by Logan Watkins. Making it 4-0 Wichita.
The X's cut the deficit in half in the top of the third with a Jose Sermo two run single with the bases loaded and two outs to make it 4-2 Wingnuts.
Tony Thomas smacked his 10th home run of the year in bottom of the third to give Wichita a 5-2 lead. Wichita would add a run in the fifth and two more in the sixth to give themselves an 8-2 lead after six innings.
X's starter James Dykstra (5-2) took the no decision tonight as he went 5.2 innings allowing 8 runs, 7 earned on 11 hits, striking out 5 and walking 2. His counter part Travis Banwart (4-1) also earned the no decision by going 6 innings, allowing 2 runs on 7 hits, striking out 3 and walking 2.
The Explorers entered the seventh inning trailing 8-2 but that would change very quickly. Daniel Jackson and Luis Durango lead off the inning with doubles to bring home a run. Michael Lang reached on an infield single and Jay Austin brought two runs home with a triple. Making it 8-5. Samson singled home Austin. Jose Sermo then popped up to shallow right field, the second baseman was unable to make the catch and the throw by the right fielder to try and get Samson at second on the force out sailed over everyone and into the Wichita bullpen scoring Samson. Jay Baum then brought home Sermo with a double tying the game 8-8 after seven innings.
In the eighth the X's loaded the bases with no one out and Nate Samson drove home the go ahead run to make it 9-8 on an infield single. Jose Sermo then followed with a grand slam and his fifth home run of the season. To give Sioux City a 13-8 lead. A Luis Durango single drove home Dexture McCall to make it 14-8 X's after 8 innings.
Sioux City still wasn't finished as they scored another 6 runs in the ninth. Jose Sermo added another RBI to his total with a run scoring single it was his 7th RBI of the night. Dexture McCall also finished off a four hit night with a RBI single. And Luis Durango became the first Explorer to have five hits in one game with a RBI single. Sioux City in the final three innings that they came to the plate scored 18 runs, on 17 hits.
Wichita scored twice in the ninth inning with Fernando Perez going deep, and the final score ending as 20-10.
The Explorers 20 runs scored as well as the 24 hits were a season high for the Explorers. Tyler Fallwell (2-1) picked up the win for Sioux City tonight pitching a scoreless seventh and eighth innings.
Sioux City is now 31-10 on the season after their come from behind, blow out win. They will go for the series and road trip sweep on Sunday with first pitch scheduled for 1:05.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 1, 2018
- Birds Drop Finale to AirHogs in Ninth - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Railroaders Power Way to Series Win - Cleburne Railroaders
- Robichaux's Complete Game Shutout Highlights Doubleheader Split - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Gary Splits Sunday Doubleheader with Lincoln - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Winnipeg Goldeyes Top Saints 4-2 in Fifth-Inning Rally - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Cunningham Named Player of the Month - Kansas City T-Bones
- Dogs Take out the Brooms, Earn First Sweep in Franchise History - Chicago Dogs
- Sioux City Overpowers Wingnuts to Complete Sweep - Wichita Wingnuts
- Splitsville, Saints Drop Series Finale 4-2 to Goldeyes - St. Paul Saints
- Vernia Named Pitcher of the Month - Sioux City Explorers
- A Comeback and a Blowout for the X's - Sioux City Explorers
- Kansas City Outlasts Cleburne in Another Close Matchup - Kansas City T-Bones
- Bullpen Struggles as Explorers Double up Wichita - Wichita Wingnuts
- Strong Pitching Bolsters Dogs in 4-1 Win - Chicago Dogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.