Splitsville, Saints Drop Series Finale 4-2 to Goldeyes
WINNIPEG, MB - The St. Paul Saints offense has left a lot to be desired in recent games. They came in hitting just .249 over their last 10 games and .225 in their last five. On Sunday afternoon at Shaw Park they managed 10 hits, but only one came with a runner in scoring position as they lost 4-2 to the Winnipeg Goldeyes. The loss dropped the Saints to 22-20 on the season.
The Saints faced the third straight Goldeyes pitcher on three days rest, Mitchell Lambson, and for the third consecutive day couldn't do much. In the second Justin O'Conner and Aaron Gretz singled with two outs, but JJ Gould struck out to end the inning.
In the third the Saints scored their lone run, but with a little help from the Goldeyes defense. With one out Richard Prigatano walked and Max Murphy singled him to second. A groundout by Burt Reynolds moved the runners to second and third. Noah Perio Jr's ground ball to first was mishandled by Jamey Smart allowing Prigatano to score and giving the Saints a 1-0 lead.
The Saints put two more on in the fourth when Gretz singled with one out and Kes Carter singled with two outs, but Prigatano grounded out to short to end the inning.
In the fifth the Saints collected three hits, but couldn't score. Reynolds singled to left-center with one out, but upon trying to steal second the pitcher Lambson threw over to first and Reynolds was thrown out sliding into second. It proved costly as Perio Jr. singled to center and Bichette Jr. doubled him to third. O'Conner struck out to end the inning. In all, the Saints left 10 men on base.
Saints starter, and knuckleballer, Dan Johnson was magnificent through the first 4.0 innings getting out of any small jam including in the first when he walked the first two batters, but got a fly out and back-to-back strikeouts.
The Goldeyes finally got to him in the fifth when Matt McCann singled with one out. Josh Romanski followed with a single to right and McCann advanced to third with Romanski taking second on right fielder Max Murphy's throwing error. A wild pitch plated McCann tying the game at one. Reggie Abercrombie then came through with an RBI single giving the Goldeyes a 2-1 lead. After back-to-back walks loaded the bases, Smart atoned for his earlier error with a two-run single to center making it 4-1. Johnson went 4.1 innings allowing four runs on seven hits while walking six and striking out three.
The Saints added a run in the seventh when Reynolds walked with two outs, stole second and advanced to third on the catcher's throwing error. Perio Jr's RBI single plated Reynolds, but that proved to be the last base runner for the Saints.
Saints reliever Ryan Schlosser was magnificent going 3.2 shutout innings allowing one hit while striking out one.
The Saints head home for one game on Monday night against the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks at 6:05 p.m. The Saints are TBA and the RedHawks send RHP DJ Brown (4-0, 3.18) to the mound. Following the game is a Monster Food Truck Rally and then the Independence Day Fireworks SuperShow. The game can be seen on the Saints Cable Network, cable access channels in and around the Twin Cities, and heard on Alt 93.3 FM.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 1, 2018
- Birds Drop Finale to AirHogs in Ninth - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Railroaders Power Way to Series Win - Cleburne Railroaders
- Robichaux's Complete Game Shutout Highlights Doubleheader Split - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Gary Splits Sunday Doubleheader with Lincoln - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Winnipeg Goldeyes Top Saints 4-2 in Fifth-Inning Rally - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Cunningham Named Player of the Month - Kansas City T-Bones
- Dogs Take out the Brooms, Earn First Sweep in Franchise History - Chicago Dogs
- Sioux City Overpowers Wingnuts to Complete Sweep - Wichita Wingnuts
- Splitsville, Saints Drop Series Finale 4-2 to Goldeyes - St. Paul Saints
- Vernia Named Pitcher of the Month - Sioux City Explorers
- A Comeback and a Blowout for the X's - Sioux City Explorers
- Kansas City Outlasts Cleburne in Another Close Matchup - Kansas City T-Bones
- Bullpen Struggles as Explorers Double up Wichita - Wichita Wingnuts
- Strong Pitching Bolsters Dogs in 4-1 Win - Chicago Dogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent St. Paul Saints Stories
- Saints and RailCats Suspended in Second Inning Due to Rain, Continue Saturday Evening
- Saints Deck the Halls for July 25-29 Homestand
- Two out Hits Do in Saints as They Lose 5-2 to Explorers
- Saints Knock off Top Team, Take Down Explorers 7-4
- Quick, But Painful as Saints Saints Six-Game Win Streak Snapped in 5-2 Loss to T-Bones