Railroaders Power Way to Series Win
CLEBURNE, Texas - Jared Mortensen gave up two runs over 8.2 innings of work, and Cleburne hit three homers en route to a series-clinching 5-2 win over the Kansas City T-Bones at The Depot on Sunday evening.
Mortensen went at least eight innings for the fifth time in 2018, and Cameron Monger clubbed a three-run homer in the 5th to put Cleburne on top for good. The Railroaders (15-25) hit eight homers in the three-game series and now have 31 this year - just two away from the 2017 total.
Kansas City opened the scoring on Dylan Tice's RBI single in the 3rd inning, and Levi Scott answered right back with his third home of the series - a solo shot in the bottom-half of the frame.
Zach Walters hit his sixth homer of the year to re-establish Kansas City's (25-15) one-run lead in the 4th, and Monger took Francisco Gracesqui - who gave up the grand slam to Scott in the series opener on Friday - deep for the three-run homer in the 5th.
John Menken padded the lead with an insurance run on a solo homer in the 8th inning, and after Mortensen gave up a pair of two-out singles in the 9th, Shawn Blackwell struck out Mason Davis to end the game and record his fifth save of 2018.
Levi Scott's homer extended his hitting streak to a club-high 12 games, while Patrick Palmeiro reached three different times and Blake Grant-Parks made it hits in 15 of 16 with a two-out double in the 3rd inning.
Cleburne now opens a three-game, home-home-and-home series with the Texas AirHogs beginning Monday night. First pitch time at The Depot is set for 7:06 p.m., and Cleburne will send RHP Josh Hodges to the mound for his second start in 2018.
Cleburne also returns home on Wednesday night, July 4th. Enjoy a fireworks extravaganza presented by the Railroaders along with an American Flag giveaway brought to you by Grandview Bank. Tickets are available at www.railroaderbaseball.com or by calling (817) 945-8705.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 1, 2018
- Birds Drop Finale to AirHogs in Ninth - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Railroaders Power Way to Series Win - Cleburne Railroaders
- Robichaux's Complete Game Shutout Highlights Doubleheader Split - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Gary Splits Sunday Doubleheader with Lincoln - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Winnipeg Goldeyes Top Saints 4-2 in Fifth-Inning Rally - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Cunningham Named Player of the Month - Kansas City T-Bones
- Dogs Take out the Brooms, Earn First Sweep in Franchise History - Chicago Dogs
- Sioux City Overpowers Wingnuts to Complete Sweep - Wichita Wingnuts
- Splitsville, Saints Drop Series Finale 4-2 to Goldeyes - St. Paul Saints
- Vernia Named Pitcher of the Month - Sioux City Explorers
- A Comeback and a Blowout for the X's - Sioux City Explorers
- Kansas City Outlasts Cleburne in Another Close Matchup - Kansas City T-Bones
- Bullpen Struggles as Explorers Double up Wichita - Wichita Wingnuts
- Strong Pitching Bolsters Dogs in 4-1 Win - Chicago Dogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.