Wings Fall to Plates 3-1
The Bisons, playing as the Wings, were defeated by Rochester, playing as the Plates, 3-1 from Coca-Cola Field Thursday night. Rochester scored three runs in the first inning and that's all the Plates needed in the victory.
Thursday was the first game the Herd were temporarily renamed the Buffalo Wings. The team will play as the Wings for the entire series against the Rochester Plates, which concludes on Sunday.
The Plates scored their only runs of the game on consecutive at-bats. First, Chris Carter hit an RBI-double. One batter later, Kenny Vargas delivered a two RBI-single to bring home the second and third runs of the inning. In the game, Rochester outhit Buffalo 9-6.
Buffalo got its only run of the game with two outs in the third. Lourdes Gurriel Jr. went with an outside pitch to the right side for a single. Then, Danny Jansen ripped an RBI-double off the wall on a fly to bring home Gurriel Jr. This moved the score to 3-1.
The Wings scratched across the one run against Rochester starter Adalberto Mejia. Mejia held Buffalo to four hits while striking out six batters in as many innings pitched.
The Wings had an opportunity to cut the lead in the seventh but did not score in the inning. Roemon Fields led off with double right down the first base line but was thrown on his attempt to leg out a triple.
This erased an RBI chance for Tim Lopes in the next at-bat when he stroked a double to the right-field gap that would have scored Fields.
"I was glad he [Fields] went for it," manager Bobby Meacham said. "That's the way we want to play. He never slowed up, he was aggressive to go for it, and it would have been a big play," he said.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 14, 2018
- Allard, Franco Carry Stripers to 3-2 Victory in Durham - Gwinnett Stripers
- Three-Run Ninth Not Enough as Hens Fall Short - Toledo Mud Hens
- RailRiders Explode in Tenth, Top Chiefs in Extras - Syracuse Mets
- Senzel Goes 2-For-4 in Bats Loss - Louisville Bats
- Dosch, Rosa Lead Tides over Charlotte - Norfolk Tides
- Kingham Throws Gem as Indians Blast Hens - Indianapolis Indians
- PawSox Drop Opener to Lehigh Valley, 8-1 - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Knights Drop Thursday's Opener to Tides 6-4 - Charlotte Knights
- Extra in Extras: Six-Run 10th Inning Gives RailRiders 9-5 Win - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Stripers Edge Bulls in Series Opener - Durham Bulls
- Plates Beat Wings for First Ever Win Thursday - Rochester Red Wings
- Pigs Fly Past PawSox 8-1 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Wings Fall to Plates 3-1 - Buffalo Bisons
- Leblebijian, Jansen Topping All-Star Voting Categories - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (34-29) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (39-25) - Indianapolis Indians
- Jose Canseco's Legends Series Schedule Set - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Thursday, June 16, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- Louisville Bats Notes: June 14 - Louisville Bats
- Order's Up: Buffalo Wings Baseball Is Here - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Rochester (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Clippers Field Staff to Pilot IL All-Star Team in Columbus - IL
- Clippers Field Staff to Pilot IL All-Star Team in Columbus - Columbus Clippers
- Gwinnett Stripers Homestand Highlights: June 19-24 - Gwinnett Stripers
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Minor League Baseball Joins the Derrick Hall Pro-State Foundation to Raise Prostate Cancer Awareness - IL
- Clippers Drop Game Three in Louisville - Columbus Clippers
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Buffalo Bisons Stories
- Bisons' Announce 'Season of Giving'; Team to Make Ticket Donation with Every Ticket Pack Purchased in December
- Minor League Baseball Named "Most Family Friendly" Per Sports Business Journal Survey
- Rich Baseball Operations President Jonathan Dandes to be Awarded Niagara University's Caritas Medal
- The Long History of Former Bisons as World Series Managers
- Sahlen Field - the New Home of the Herd