Stripers Edge Bulls in Series Opener
DURHAM, NC - The Durham Bulls dropped their third straight game Thursday night, falling to the Gwinnett Stripers 3-2 in front of 10,137 fans at the DBAP.
The Stripers jumped out to an early 2-0 lead thanks to a two-run homer off the bat of Carlos Franco in the top of the first. Then in the fourth the visitors extended their lead to three when Xavier Avery earned a bases-loaded walk.
Durham struck for a pair of runs in the fifth inning, as Nick Ciuffo singled home Michael Russell, and Kean Wong's single to left field scored Jeremy Hazelbaker. The Bulls got the tying run aboard in the ninth, but failed to score as they dropped the opener of the four-game set.
Kolby Allard (5-2) picked up the victory by surrendering two runs on seven hits across six frames. Yonny Chirinos (0-1) took the loss, allowing three runs on four hits and a pair of walks over 4.2 innings. Andrew Kittredge, Jaime Schultz and Colin Poche combined for 4.1 innings of scoreless relief, striking out eight in the process.
Game two of the series is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. Friday, when RHP Forrest Snow (3-4, 4.06) takes the hill for Durham opposite RHP Matt Wisler (2-3, 4.38) for Gwinnett.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 14, 2018
- Allard, Franco Carry Stripers to 3-2 Victory in Durham - Gwinnett Stripers
- Three-Run Ninth Not Enough as Hens Fall Short - Toledo Mud Hens
- RailRiders Explode in Tenth, Top Chiefs in Extras - Syracuse Chiefs
- Senzel Goes 2-For-4 in Bats Loss - Louisville Bats
- Dosch, Rosa Lead Tides over Charlotte - Norfolk Tides
- Kingham Throws Gem as Indians Blast Hens - Indianapolis Indians
- PawSox Drop Opener to Lehigh Valley, 8-1 - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Knights Drop Thursday's Opener to Tides 6-4 - Charlotte Knights
- Extra in Extras: Six-Run 10th Inning Gives RailRiders 9-5 Win - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Stripers Edge Bulls in Series Opener - Durham Bulls
- Plates Beat Wings for First Ever Win Thursday - Rochester Red Wings
- Pigs Fly Past PawSox 8-1 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Wings Fall to Plates 3-1 - Buffalo Bisons
- Leblebijian, Jansen Topping All-Star Voting Categories - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (34-29) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (39-25) - Indianapolis Indians
- Jose Canseco's Legends Series Schedule Set - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Thursday, June 16, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- Louisville Bats Notes: June 14 - Louisville Bats
- Order's Up: Buffalo Wings Baseball Is Here - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Rochester (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Clippers Field Staff to Pilot IL All-Star Team in Columbus - IL
- Clippers Field Staff to Pilot IL All-Star Team in Columbus - Columbus Clippers
- Gwinnett Stripers Homestand Highlights: June 19-24 - Gwinnett Stripers
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Minor League Baseball Joins the Derrick Hall Pro-State Foundation to Raise Prostate Cancer Awareness - IL
- Clippers Drop Game Three in Louisville - Columbus Clippers
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Durham Bulls Stories
- Halloween-Themed Fall Fan Fest to be Held October 27
- DBAP to Host Hurricane Fundraiser, Championship Celebration Saturday
- Durham Falls in Triple-A National Championship Game
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Tuesday, September 18, 2018
- Bulls Repeat as Governors' Cup Champions