Clippers Drop Game Three in Louisville
The Columbus Clippers fell in game three of a four-game series to the Louisville Bats tonight, 7-1, at Louisville Slugger Field.
Though Columbus couldn't get the bats going, Louisville erupted with three homeruns to win its first game of the series.
The Clippers started off on the right foot in the top of the first inning when the second batter of the game, Todd Hankins cranked his first homerun of the season off Louisville starter Robert Stephenson. The solo blast made it 1-0.
It would be all Bats after that, as they took the lead in the second inning and never let go. Gabriel Guerrero tied the ballgame with a solo homerun off Clippers starter Mitch Talbot, which Steve Selsky followed with a RBI double later in the inning to take a 2-1 lead.
The Bats struck again in the bottom of the fifth inning when top prospect Nick Senzel laced a run-scoring single off Talbot to put Louisville ahead, 3-1.
Talbot would be done after a scoreless sixth, having allowed three runs on seven hits, with one walk and two strikeouts.
Cole Sulser came on for Columbus in the seventh and allowed one run on a Senzel double to extend the Bats' lead to 4-1.
Louisville teed off on Clippers reliever Robert Zarate in the eight with homeruns from DJ Peterson, a two-run shot, and Mason Williams, who drilled a no-doubt solo bomb to make it 7-1.
Former Clipper Kyle Crocket set down his old mates in the ninth to win it, 7-1.
The Clippers will look to take the series in game four tomorrow, with first pitch set for 7 p.m. at Louisville Slugger Field.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 14, 2018
- Allard, Franco Carry Stripers to 3-2 Victory in Durham - Gwinnett Stripers
- Three-Run Ninth Not Enough as Hens Fall Short - Toledo Mud Hens
- RailRiders Explode in Tenth, Top Chiefs in Extras - Syracuse Chiefs
- Senzel Goes 2-For-4 in Bats Loss - Louisville Bats
- Dosch, Rosa Lead Tides over Charlotte - Norfolk Tides
- Kingham Throws Gem as Indians Blast Hens - Indianapolis Indians
- PawSox Drop Opener to Lehigh Valley, 8-1 - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Knights Drop Thursday's Opener to Tides 6-4 - Charlotte Knights
- Extra in Extras: Six-Run 10th Inning Gives RailRiders 9-5 Win - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Stripers Edge Bulls in Series Opener - Durham Bulls
- Plates Beat Wings for First Ever Win Thursday - Rochester Red Wings
- Pigs Fly Past PawSox 8-1 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Wings Fall to Plates 3-1 - Buffalo Bisons
- Leblebijian, Jansen Topping All-Star Voting Categories - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (34-29) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (39-25) - Indianapolis Indians
- Jose Canseco's Legends Series Schedule Set - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Thursday, June 16, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- Louisville Bats Notes: June 14 - Louisville Bats
- Order's Up: Buffalo Wings Baseball Is Here - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Rochester (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Clippers Field Staff to Pilot IL All-Star Team in Columbus - IL
- Clippers Field Staff to Pilot IL All-Star Team in Columbus - Columbus Clippers
- Gwinnett Stripers Homestand Highlights: June 19-24 - Gwinnett Stripers
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Minor League Baseball Joins the Derrick Hall Pro-State Foundation to Raise Prostate Cancer Awareness - IL
- Clippers Drop Game Three in Louisville - Columbus Clippers
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.