Pigs Fly Past PawSox 8-1
The IronPigs plated seven runs in the first two innings Thursday at Coca-Cola Park en route to an 8-1 victory over the Pawtucket Red Sox. With the win, the IronPigs are 10 games above .500 for the first time this season, and push their lead on top of the IL North Division to 3.5 games.
The Pigs attacked Josh A. Smith (0-2) early and never let up. Back-to-back singles and an error in the first allowed the first two runs of the game to score. Lehigh Valley then exploded for five runs from six singles in the second inning as the team sent 11 batters to the plate. The PawSox were forced to go to the bullpen early, while a combination of four different arms were able to hold the IronPigs to just one more run for the rest of the game.
Ben Lively (2-2) was glad to take the run support. The right hander tossed seven innings for Lehigh Valley while allowing one run on six hits and collecting five strikeouts. Tom Windle and Zac Curtis each tossed scoreless innings to close out the victory.
Lehigh Valley had a fair amount of offensive standouts in the win. Adron Chambers went 2-for-2 with a pair of RBIs and a run scored. Dean Anna also collected a pair of RBI and a pair of runs while going 2-for-4, and Joey Meneses had another multi-hit game, going 2-for-5 with two more runs scored.
The Pigs will continue their four-game series with the PawSox tomorrow when Cole Irvin takes the mound against lefty Josh D. Smith. The first pitch at Coca-Cola Park is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. and the game will be followed by Will Smith-themed Friday Night Fireworks presented by Coors Light.
The 2018 Season is the IronPigs' 11th season at Coca-Cola Park and 11th as the top affiliate of the Philadelphia Phillies. Fans can get closer to the team than ever before with a Bacon, USA membership -- a year-round IronPigs experience pass featuring numerous amenities such as savings on parking at games and at the Majestic Clubhouse Store at Coca-Cola Park, on-field VIP access to watch batting practice, access to the annual holiday party, and more. For more information, visit IronPigsBaseball.com or call (610) 841-PIGS (7447).
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 14, 2018
- Allard, Franco Carry Stripers to 3-2 Victory in Durham - Gwinnett Stripers
- Three-Run Ninth Not Enough as Hens Fall Short - Toledo Mud Hens
- RailRiders Explode in Tenth, Top Chiefs in Extras - Syracuse Mets
- Senzel Goes 2-For-4 in Bats Loss - Louisville Bats
- Dosch, Rosa Lead Tides over Charlotte - Norfolk Tides
- Kingham Throws Gem as Indians Blast Hens - Indianapolis Indians
- PawSox Drop Opener to Lehigh Valley, 8-1 - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Knights Drop Thursday's Opener to Tides 6-4 - Charlotte Knights
- Extra in Extras: Six-Run 10th Inning Gives RailRiders 9-5 Win - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Stripers Edge Bulls in Series Opener - Durham Bulls
- Plates Beat Wings for First Ever Win Thursday - Rochester Red Wings
- Pigs Fly Past PawSox 8-1 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Wings Fall to Plates 3-1 - Buffalo Bisons
- Leblebijian, Jansen Topping All-Star Voting Categories - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (34-29) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (39-25) - Indianapolis Indians
- Jose Canseco's Legends Series Schedule Set - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Thursday, June 16, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- Louisville Bats Notes: June 14 - Louisville Bats
- Order's Up: Buffalo Wings Baseball Is Here - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Rochester (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Clippers Field Staff to Pilot IL All-Star Team in Columbus - IL
- Clippers Field Staff to Pilot IL All-Star Team in Columbus - Columbus Clippers
- Gwinnett Stripers Homestand Highlights: June 19-24 - Gwinnett Stripers
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Minor League Baseball Joins the Derrick Hall Pro-State Foundation to Raise Prostate Cancer Awareness - IL
- Clippers Drop Game Three in Louisville - Columbus Clippers
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lehigh Valley IronPigs Stories
- Service Electric Network to Televise Phillies Taxi Squad Games
- Lehigh Valley IronPigs 2020 Season Is Canceled
- #HopeningDay to Feature Virtual Baseball Telecast
- 'All Abilities' Night Features Sign Language Jersey Auction
- Pig Day Celebration to be Held Friday, March 6