Extra in Extras: Six-Run 10th Inning Gives RailRiders 9-5 Win
SYRACUSE, NY - Thursday night's series-opener between the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders and Syracuse Chiefs moved into the 10th inning tied 3-3, when the RailRiders offense- dormant since the 3rdinning- exploded for six runs as part of a 9-5 win.
The inning began with Abiatal Avelino standing at second base as the pace-of-play runner. Bruce Caldwell notched a single to left field and set up Kyle Higashioka's run-scoring double to make it 4-3. Runners were at second and third when Mark Payton drilled a sacrifice fly to left-centerfield to plate Caldwell and push Higashioka to third base. It was 5-3 with one out when the lineup turned over for Clint Frazier who walked, setting up Tyler Wade's RBI single.
The next man up was Brandon Drury whose double plated a pair of runs to blow it open 7-3 en route to a 9-3 lead heading to the bottom of the 9th.
The scoring began for the RailRiders in the top of the first with two down, Drury hit a solo home run off Phillips Valdez. It was Drury's third of the season and his first since May 27 at PNC Field against the Chiefs.
After Syracuse tied the game on a sac fly in the bottom of the first, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre regained the lead in the second. Billy McKinney walked and was balked to second base. Avelino reached on a fielder's choice and McKinney was awarded third base on defensive interference. A Caldwell fielder's choice brought in McKinney for a 2-1 edge. Wade led off the third inning with a solo home run; his second this season and his 12th run batted in.
The Chiefs tallied their second run of the night in the bottom of the third on three singles. RailRiders starter Justus Sheffield pitched five and a third, allowing two runs on eight hits with six strikeouts.
The RailRiders continue their four-game series with the Chiefs at PNC Field Friday night. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. at NBT Bank Stadium. LHP Josh Rogers (5-5, 3.72) toes the slab for Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, while Syracuse send RHP Brady Dragmire to the mound for his Chiefs debut. Pregame coverage with Adam Marco and Adam Giardino begins at 6:35 p.m.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Record:
Images from this story
Brandon Drury of the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 14, 2018
- Allard, Franco Carry Stripers to 3-2 Victory in Durham - Gwinnett Stripers
- Three-Run Ninth Not Enough as Hens Fall Short - Toledo Mud Hens
- RailRiders Explode in Tenth, Top Chiefs in Extras - Syracuse Mets
- Senzel Goes 2-For-4 in Bats Loss - Louisville Bats
- Dosch, Rosa Lead Tides over Charlotte - Norfolk Tides
- Kingham Throws Gem as Indians Blast Hens - Indianapolis Indians
- PawSox Drop Opener to Lehigh Valley, 8-1 - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Knights Drop Thursday's Opener to Tides 6-4 - Charlotte Knights
- Extra in Extras: Six-Run 10th Inning Gives RailRiders 9-5 Win - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Stripers Edge Bulls in Series Opener - Durham Bulls
- Plates Beat Wings for First Ever Win Thursday - Rochester Red Wings
- Pigs Fly Past PawSox 8-1 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Wings Fall to Plates 3-1 - Buffalo Bisons
- Leblebijian, Jansen Topping All-Star Voting Categories - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (34-29) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (39-25) - Indianapolis Indians
- Jose Canseco's Legends Series Schedule Set - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Thursday, June 16, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- Louisville Bats Notes: June 14 - Louisville Bats
- Order's Up: Buffalo Wings Baseball Is Here - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Rochester (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Clippers Field Staff to Pilot IL All-Star Team in Columbus - IL
- Clippers Field Staff to Pilot IL All-Star Team in Columbus - Columbus Clippers
- Gwinnett Stripers Homestand Highlights: June 19-24 - Gwinnett Stripers
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Minor League Baseball Joins the Derrick Hall Pro-State Foundation to Raise Prostate Cancer Awareness - IL
- Clippers Drop Game Three in Louisville - Columbus Clippers
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Stories
- Life Skills and Special Education Students Holiday Luncheon
- All-Time SWB Team Infield Announced
- Scranton/Wilkes-Barre to Host 2020 Triple-A All-Star Game
- RailRiders Working with ESU Sport Marketing Students
- All-Time Team Pitcher and Catcher Revealed