Plates Beat Wings for First Ever Win Thursday
The Rochester Plates, starving for that first win, finally broke through Thursday night in Buffalo.
The Plates won their first game ever, beating no other than the Buffalo Wings, 3-1, in the first game of a four-game series at Coca-Cola Field.
Rochester (30-33) had gone 0-4 as the Plates since debuting the moniker back on August 10 of 2017.
On Thursday, the Plates used a three-run first inning and strong start from Adalberto Mejia to win the food fight.
Mejia earned his post-game Plate allowing just one run on four hits over six innings to pick up his second win of the season.
Nick Anderson followed with two scoreless innings before turning things over to John Curtiss who worked a 1-2-3 ninth to secure the save.
The Plates got an RBI double from Chris Carter and two-run single from Kennys Vargas in the first inning. It was the first time Rochester has scored at least three runs in an inning since a four spot in the fourth inning on May 30 at Durham.
Zack Granite and Vargas each had multi-hit nights.
Rochester has now won back-to-back games for the first time since a four-game winning streak May 29-June 1.
The Plates and Wings continue their series on Friday night at 7:05 pm. Rochester will send righty Zack Littell (1-2, 3.38) to the mound opposite Sen Reid-Foley (1-1, 6.75).
GAME NOTES: The Plates grounded into a season-high four double plays...Rochester improved to 20-12 on the road this season, the best mark in the league.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 14, 2018
- Allard, Franco Carry Stripers to 3-2 Victory in Durham - Gwinnett Stripers
- Three-Run Ninth Not Enough as Hens Fall Short - Toledo Mud Hens
- RailRiders Explode in Tenth, Top Chiefs in Extras - Syracuse Mets
- Senzel Goes 2-For-4 in Bats Loss - Louisville Bats
- Dosch, Rosa Lead Tides over Charlotte - Norfolk Tides
- Kingham Throws Gem as Indians Blast Hens - Indianapolis Indians
- PawSox Drop Opener to Lehigh Valley, 8-1 - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Knights Drop Thursday's Opener to Tides 6-4 - Charlotte Knights
- Extra in Extras: Six-Run 10th Inning Gives RailRiders 9-5 Win - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Stripers Edge Bulls in Series Opener - Durham Bulls
- Plates Beat Wings for First Ever Win Thursday - Rochester Red Wings
- Pigs Fly Past PawSox 8-1 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Wings Fall to Plates 3-1 - Buffalo Bisons
- Leblebijian, Jansen Topping All-Star Voting Categories - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (34-29) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (39-25) - Indianapolis Indians
- Jose Canseco's Legends Series Schedule Set - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Thursday, June 16, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- Louisville Bats Notes: June 14 - Louisville Bats
- Order's Up: Buffalo Wings Baseball Is Here - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Rochester (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Clippers Field Staff to Pilot IL All-Star Team in Columbus - IL
- Clippers Field Staff to Pilot IL All-Star Team in Columbus - Columbus Clippers
- Gwinnett Stripers Homestand Highlights: June 19-24 - Gwinnett Stripers
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Minor League Baseball Joins the Derrick Hall Pro-State Foundation to Raise Prostate Cancer Awareness - IL
- Clippers Drop Game Three in Louisville - Columbus Clippers
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rochester Red Wings Stories
- Skinner, Cliburn, Valentin Not Renewed by Minnesota for 2020
- USA Baseball Names Two Red Wings to Premier12 Roster
- Twins Division Series Roster Features 18 Former Red Wings
- Red Wings Nominated Again for John Henry Moss Community Service Award
- Dinolfo, Silver Break Ground on the New Frontier: New Turf Coming to Frontier Field