Three-Run Ninth Not Enough as Hens Fall Short
INDIANAPOLIS - The Toledo Mud Hens came to life with three runs in the top of the ninth inning, but were unable to overcome an early deficit in a 7-3 setback to the Indianapolis Indians on Thursday at Victory Field.
Dawel Lugo recorded his third multi-hit performance of the four-game series, going 2-for-4 with a double, a single, and a run scored. Mike Gerber finished 1-for-4 with an RBI double and a run scored, while Jim Adduci went 1-for-4 with an RBI single.
A.J. Ladwig tossed 4.2 innings for the Mud Hens (39-26), but was tagged with the loss after surrendering six runs, five of which were earned, on nine hits and a walk. Phillippe Aumont, Kevin Comer, and Johnny Barbato each pitched a scoreless inning out of the Hen Pen.
Indianapolis (35-29) was able to manufacture a run to open the scoring in the bottom of the first frame. Kevin Newman grounded a leadoff single through the right side, advancing to second on a stolen base before moving up to third on a Christopher Bostick flyout. Jung Ho Kang then brought Newman home with a sacrifice fly into right to give the hosts a 1-0 edge.
The Indians used back-to-back two-out solo shots from Max Moroff and Ryan Lavarnway in the second to open up a 3-0 lead, and added a three-spot in the third. After Kevin Kramer whacked a two-run drive over the wall in right, Pablo Reyes sent a single into right to plate Moroff and make it a 6-0 ballgame.
Lugo spoiled Indianapolis starter Nick Kingham's bid for a perfect game with one out in the top of the seventh, grounding an infield single near the mound and reaching second on Kingham's throwing error. The Indians' seventh and final run arrived in the bottom of the same inning, as Kramer's two-out double into right scored Bostick.
The Mud Hens mounted a ferocious comeback attempt, tallying three runs on four hits in the top of the ninth. Harold Castro started the rally with a single into right, and scored all the way from first on Gerber's two-base hit to right. Lugo kept the line moving with a double of his own into left to plate Gerber, and eventually came home when Adduci lined a one-out single to center to trim the deficit to 7-3.
The Mud Hens return to Fifth Third Field on Friday to open a three-game series against the Louisville Bats. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
GAMEDAY THEME: Princess Palooza
GIVEAWAY: BIGS Seeds Exit Sampling
SPECIAL EVENT: Girl Scout Sleepover
Hensville Live! Presented by NSG
#RoadToDetroit Report (rankings according to MLB.com 2018 Prospect Watch):
10. OF Christin Stewart: 0-for-4
11. OF Mike Gerber: 1-for-4, double, RBI, run
12. IF Dawel Lugo: 2-for-4, double, single, RBI, run
15. RHP Grayson Long: DNP (DL)
16. RHP Bryan Garcia: DNP (DL)
18. LHP Tyler Alexander: DNP
- The Mud Hens are 4-6 against Indianapolis, but are 12-5 against the rest of the West Division.
- Adduci has recorded a hit in 14 consecutive road games, which stands as the International League's longest active streak. Lugo has also registered a hit in 13 straight away contests.
- Adduci tallied one or more RBI in four consecutive games.
- Barbato has not allowed a run in 10 consecutive appearances.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 14, 2018
- Allard, Franco Carry Stripers to 3-2 Victory in Durham - Gwinnett Stripers
- Three-Run Ninth Not Enough as Hens Fall Short - Toledo Mud Hens
- RailRiders Explode in Tenth, Top Chiefs in Extras - Syracuse Mets
- Senzel Goes 2-For-4 in Bats Loss - Louisville Bats
- Dosch, Rosa Lead Tides over Charlotte - Norfolk Tides
- Kingham Throws Gem as Indians Blast Hens - Indianapolis Indians
- PawSox Drop Opener to Lehigh Valley, 8-1 - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Knights Drop Thursday's Opener to Tides 6-4 - Charlotte Knights
- Extra in Extras: Six-Run 10th Inning Gives RailRiders 9-5 Win - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Stripers Edge Bulls in Series Opener - Durham Bulls
- Plates Beat Wings for First Ever Win Thursday - Rochester Red Wings
- Pigs Fly Past PawSox 8-1 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Wings Fall to Plates 3-1 - Buffalo Bisons
- Leblebijian, Jansen Topping All-Star Voting Categories - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (34-29) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (39-25) - Indianapolis Indians
- Jose Canseco's Legends Series Schedule Set - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Thursday, June 16, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- Louisville Bats Notes: June 14 - Louisville Bats
- Order's Up: Buffalo Wings Baseball Is Here - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Rochester (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Clippers Field Staff to Pilot IL All-Star Team in Columbus - IL
- Clippers Field Staff to Pilot IL All-Star Team in Columbus - Columbus Clippers
- Gwinnett Stripers Homestand Highlights: June 19-24 - Gwinnett Stripers
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Minor League Baseball Joins the Derrick Hall Pro-State Foundation to Raise Prostate Cancer Awareness - IL
- Clippers Drop Game Three in Louisville - Columbus Clippers
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.