Wilson's Late Blast Lifts Dogs to Series Win over St. Paul
St. Paul, Minn. - Kenny Wilson hit a go-ahead three-run home run in the top of the eighth inning, and the Dogs stole the rubber match from the St. Paul Saints 7-5 in their final road game of 2018 Friday night at CHS Field.
Wilson homered on a full count pitch from Saints closer Zack Jones with two outs in the top of the eighth. The long ball was Wilson's sixth of the year and capped the come-from-behind victory for Chicago.
Dogs right-hander Josh Goossen-Brown pitched seven innings in his 20th and final start of the year, and earned his seventh victory. Goossen-Brown allowed single St. Paul runs in each of his first five innings, but ultimately retired the final nine batters he faced to put himself in line for the victory.
Chicago scored first Friday on a Rubi Silva RBI single in the top of the first inning. The Dogs then scored single runs in the fourth, fifth, and sixth innings to keep pace with St. Paul. Trailing by one run in the top of the eighth inning, Chicago finally posted the first crooked number of the night.
Joe Benson led the inning off with a single, Matt Dean later walked, and Wilson hit just the second home run of the year allowed by Jones to give Chicago their first lead since the opening inning.
With the Dogs in front again, Kaohi Downing and Taylor Grover pitched scoreless eighth and ninth innings, respectively, with Grover earning his 13th save of the year as a result. The pair has now combined to pitch 29 and two-thirds consecutive innings without allowing an earned run.
St. Paul starter Eddie Medina lasted only five innings Friday night, allowing two earned runs. The St. Paul ace allowed seven earned runs over nine innings in his final two starts of the regular season, both against Chicago.
St. Paul committed four errors in the game, and eight overall in the three game series.
The win pushes the Dogs to 44-53 on the year and moves their final 2018 road record to 21-30. The Dogs finished the month of August 17-11, and their .607 winning percentage in the month was the third highest in the American Association.
Chicago will now head home for their final series of 2018 as the Dogs host the Lincoln Saltdogs for three games beginning Saturday at Impact Field.
Tickets to the series are available in line at the Impact Field Ticket Office, online at www.thechicagodogs.com/tickets/ or by calling (847) 636-5450.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from September 1, 2018
- AirHogs Slip in Opener vs. Cleburne - Texas AirHogs
- Bernardino Shines, Goldeyes Top Saints 5-2 in Series Opener - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Saints Fall out of First with 5-2 Loss to Goldeyes - St. Paul Saints
- Wingnuts Stay Alive, Double up Explorers - Wichita Wingnuts
- Railroaders Take Game 1 Behind Stellar Sanchez - Cleburne Railroaders
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Dogs and Saltdogs Suspended in Rosemont, Will Resume Sunday - Chicago Dogs
- RedHawks Win Series Opener against Canaries - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Saltdogs Game Suspended, Doubleheader on Sunday - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Santiesteban's Two Blasts Push Gary to Fifth Straight Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Offensive Assault by Gary Leads to 9-1 T-Bones Loss - Kansas City T-Bones
- Wingnuts Celebrate Final Regular Season Series at Lawrence-Dumont - Wichita Wingnuts
- Wilson's Late Blast Lifts Dogs to Series Win over St. Paul - Chicago Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.