Railroaders Take Game 1 Behind Stellar Sanchez
CLEBURNE, Texas - Jesus Sanchez struck out a franchise-best 12 batters in his final start of 2018, and the Railroaders hit four homers in a 9-1 win in the series opener against the Texas AirHogs at The Depot on Saturday night.
Sanchez racked up 12 strikeouts and allowed just two hits with no walks over six scoreless innings, while Mike Gulino also hit Cleburne's second inside-the-park homer of 2018 as part of the season-best four-homer night.
Angelo Gumbs opened the scoring with a two-run homer in the 1st inning, and after the teams exchanged zeroes, Gulino led off the 7th with an inside-the-park homer that resulted from a missed dive from center-fielder Javion Randle on a liner. Angel Rosa later clubbed the first of his two homers - a two-run shot that also scored Alex Polson.
Cleburne loaded the bases with nobody out in the 8th, and Gulino added to the lead with a sacrifice fly before Rosa hit a three-run homer down the left-field line to make it 9-0.
The AirHogs broke up the shutout bit on Cao Jie's RBI single off of Shawn Blackwell in the 9th inning.
Cleburne pitching combined for a season-best 16 strikeouts, and Will Mathis struck out a pair in the 7th before Roman Gomez went 1-2-3 with two strikeouts in the 8th.
Levi Scott went 1-for-3 with a double and a walk, and Gumbs reached three times - a homer, double and a walk. Alex Polston went 1-for-4 and Justin Byrd went 1-for-4 with a walk and a run scored.
The teams play the penultimate game of 2018 on Sunday night at AirHogs Stadium. First pitch time is set for 6:05 p.m. and the Railroaders will throw RHP Josh Hodges.
Cleburne returns home for the 2018 season finale on Monday, Sept. 3 with a special first pitch time of 1:05 p.m., and all ticket/promotional information can be found at www.railroaderbaseball.com or by calling (817) 945-8705.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from September 1, 2018
- AirHogs Slip in Opener vs. Cleburne - Texas AirHogs
- Bernardino Shines, Goldeyes Top Saints 5-2 in Series Opener - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Saints Fall out of First with 5-2 Loss to Goldeyes - St. Paul Saints
- Wingnuts Stay Alive, Double up Explorers - Wichita Wingnuts
- Railroaders Take Game 1 Behind Stellar Sanchez - Cleburne Railroaders
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Dogs and Saltdogs Suspended in Rosemont, Will Resume Sunday - Chicago Dogs
- RedHawks Win Series Opener against Canaries - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Saltdogs Game Suspended, Doubleheader on Sunday - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Santiesteban's Two Blasts Push Gary to Fifth Straight Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Offensive Assault by Gary Leads to 9-1 T-Bones Loss - Kansas City T-Bones
- Wingnuts Celebrate Final Regular Season Series at Lawrence-Dumont - Wichita Wingnuts
- Wilson's Late Blast Lifts Dogs to Series Win over St. Paul - Chicago Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.