RedHawks Win Series Opener against Canaries
FARGO, N.D. - Five runs in the fifth inning and another four in the sixth catapulted the RedHawks (50-48) past the Sioux Falls Canaries (39-59) for a 9-2 win Saturday night at Newman Outdoor Field. Devan Ahart's three-run homer in the fifth was the difference as Brandon Barker held the Canaries to just two runs over his seven innings on the mound.
Both starting pitchers - Barker and Sioux Falls' Dylan Thompson - were outstanding until the fifth, when Thompson gave up two earned runs before an error by the Canaries' third baseman extended the inning and brought Ahart to the plate. Ahart's 11th homer of the season gave the home team a lead it would add on to in the sixth.
A two-run triple from Yhoxian Medina made it a seven-run game before Derrick Fox doubled home the shortstop and came around to score himself on another error by the Sioux Falls third baseman. All in all, Fargo-Moorhead scored four runs in the sixth to extend the lead to nine runs with three innings to go.
A two-run home run for Sioux Falls' Jordan Smith spoiled Barker's shutout bid, but the right-hander finished the game with just two runs against on six hits over seven innings. Barker rang up six Canaries in the process for his third win of the season.
Geoff Broussard and Randy McCurry each pitched perfect innings in relief to finish off the visitors and help the RedHawks earn their 50th win of the season.
Fargo-Moorhead and Sioux Falls will meet in Game 2 of their three-game series Sunday afternoon at 1 P.M. before finishing the 2018 season with a Labor Day finale at 1 P.M. on Monday afternoon.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from September 1, 2018
- AirHogs Slip in Opener vs. Cleburne - Texas AirHogs
- Bernardino Shines, Goldeyes Top Saints 5-2 in Series Opener - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Saints Fall out of First with 5-2 Loss to Goldeyes - St. Paul Saints
- Wingnuts Stay Alive, Double up Explorers - Wichita Wingnuts
- Railroaders Take Game 1 Behind Stellar Sanchez - Cleburne Railroaders
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Dogs and Saltdogs Suspended in Rosemont, Will Resume Sunday - Chicago Dogs
- RedHawks Win Series Opener against Canaries - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Saltdogs Game Suspended, Doubleheader on Sunday - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Santiesteban's Two Blasts Push Gary to Fifth Straight Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Offensive Assault by Gary Leads to 9-1 T-Bones Loss - Kansas City T-Bones
- Wingnuts Celebrate Final Regular Season Series at Lawrence-Dumont - Wichita Wingnuts
- Wilson's Late Blast Lifts Dogs to Series Win over St. Paul - Chicago Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks Stories
- American Association Designated as a Partner League of MLB
- Rau Named American Association Executive of the Year
- RedHawks Drew Ward Named to 2020 All-Star Team
- Pina Blasts Two Home Runs in RedHawks in Series Win
- Canaries Snap RedHawks' Winning Streak in Extra Innings