Offensive Assault by Gary Leads to 9-1 T-Bones Loss
GARY, Ind. - After winning a three-game series against the Wichita Wingnuts Friday, the Kansas City T-Bones (62-35) hit the road for their final games of the regular season this Labor Day weekend. The T-Bones were looking to potentially clinch a playoff spot with a win Saturday but fell to the Gary SouthShore RailCats 9-1. Two home runs from Randy Santiesteban and a five-run sixth inning helped fuel the RailCats win.
In the bottom of the first, the RailCats put the first runs on the board and grabbed an early lead on a two-run home run by Randy Santiesteban.
Gary's Jeffrey Sneed led off the bottom of the second with a double to left and was brought home by Cole Fabio RBI single to center for the RailCats' third run of the game.
In the Kansas City half of the third, Ryan Brett led off with a double to left field then Mason Davis brought him home with a two-out RBI single. The run put the T-Bones on the board, but still trailing by two, with a score of 3-1.
Gary's Cole Fabio added another RBI to the game in the fourth with a double to left field that scored Garrett Copeland to make it 4-1 RailCats.
A five-run sixth inning for Gary locked in a RailCats win. Jeffrey Sneed scored on an RBI single to center by K.C. Huth, then Garrett Copeland came home on a Cole Fabio putout and KC Huth later scored on a sac fly to center by Andy DeJesus. That gave the RailCats a comfortable 7-1 lead, but then Randy Santiesteban hit his second two-run home run of the game to put Gary up a whopping 9-1.
After the second Santiesteban home run, T-Bones starter Hunter Adkins was relieved by Pasquale Mazzoccolli. Adkins gave up nine runs on 13 hits in 5.2 innings of work. T-Bone newcomer Robert Calvano also worked one inning in relief, striking out two and preventing any further damage.
In his first pro start, Mario Samuel worked five innings for the RailCats, giving up only one run on four hits and striking out three.
The win Saturday marked a franchise-high-tying 58th win for the RailCats. Gary will meet Kansas City for the second in the three-game series on Sunday at 6:10 pm. You can listen to all of the action with the voice of the T-Bones, Dan Vaughan Jr, at http://mixlr.com/t-bones-baseball/.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from September 1, 2018
- AirHogs Slip in Opener vs. Cleburne - Texas AirHogs
- Bernardino Shines, Goldeyes Top Saints 5-2 in Series Opener - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Saints Fall out of First with 5-2 Loss to Goldeyes - St. Paul Saints
- Wingnuts Stay Alive, Double up Explorers - Wichita Wingnuts
- Railroaders Take Game 1 Behind Stellar Sanchez - Cleburne Railroaders
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Dogs and Saltdogs Suspended in Rosemont, Will Resume Sunday - Chicago Dogs
- RedHawks Win Series Opener against Canaries - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Saltdogs Game Suspended, Doubleheader on Sunday - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Santiesteban's Two Blasts Push Gary to Fifth Straight Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Offensive Assault by Gary Leads to 9-1 T-Bones Loss - Kansas City T-Bones
- Wingnuts Celebrate Final Regular Season Series at Lawrence-Dumont - Wichita Wingnuts
- Wilson's Late Blast Lifts Dogs to Series Win over St. Paul - Chicago Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.