Santiesteban's Two Blasts Push Gary to Fifth Straight Win
GARY, Ind. - A pair of two-run home runs from Randy Santiesteban and five innings of one-run ball from Mario Samuel in his first professional start led the Gary SouthShore RailCats to a 9-1 win over the Kansas City T-Bones on Saturday afternoon at U.S. Steel Yard. Saturday's victory was Gary's fifth consecutive win and matches the franchise record for most wins in a season. The RailCats also remain in first place in the North Division following Saturday's victory.
Gary (58-40) took a 2-0 lead on the first Santiesteban two-run homer in the first inning. Andy De Jesus reached on a fielder's choice before Santisteban delivered his eighth home run of the year and the RailCats fifth home run in their last four contests off the net beyond the left field wall.
The RailCats increased their lead to three with a two-out run in the second. Jeff Sneed led off the frame with a double off the base of the left field wall before moving up to third on Garrett Copeland's groundout to first. Two batters later, Cole Fabio brought home Sneed with an RBI single to center.
Kansas City (61-36) got their only run in the third. Ryan Brett doubled off the left field wall with two outs before scoring on Todd Cunningham's RBI single to center.
Gary regained their three-run lead with another two-out run in the fourth. Copeland reached on a fielder's choice for the second out of the inning before K.C. Huth was hit in the back on the very next pitch from T-Bones starter Hunter Adkins, giving the 'Cats runners on first and second. Fabio followed Huth an RBI opposite-field double down the first base line, scoring Copeland from second.
The RailCats increased their lead to 9-1 with a five-run sixth inning. Sneed led off the inning with a single to left for the final of his three hits before Copeland pulled a double off the right field wall, moving Sneed to third. Huth followed Copeland with an RBI single, bringing in Sneed from third before Fabio drove in his last of three runs with an RBI groundout. Two batters later, De Jesus made it 7-1 with a sacrifice fly to center before Santiesteban delivered the last runs of the day with his second two-run homer of the game.
Samuel (2-0) yielded just four hits, walked one and struck out three in his seventh appearance. Myles Smith and Jack Fowler each threw two scoreless innings of relief for the RailCats while Adkins (6-7) suffered his fourth straight loss. The KC right-hander allowed a season-high nine runs on 13 hits, walked none and struck out none in 5.2 innings.
Gary continues their three-game homestand vs. Kansas City on Sunday at 6:10 p.m. T-Bones LHP Adam Bleday (2-1, 4.88) gets the ball in the middle game of the series while the RailCats have yet to announce their starter.
Sunday's game is the last regular-season Sunday Funday, Times Family Sunday and Pre-Game Catch on the Field, presented by Dr. Geissler's Hearing Center. Sunday's game also includes a Labor Day Weekend Fireworks Super Show and a Camo T-Shirt Jersey to the first 1,000 adults (13 and older), presented by Midwest Boilers. Sunday Funday includes $5 cocktails and show your NWI.com social media or hard copy coupon at the box office and you receive tickets for two adults and four kids for just $10. Bring your ball and glove to the game as fans will get to play catch on the outfield grass before first pitch.
Jared Shlensky and Brennan Mense bring you all 100 RailCats game this season on WEFM (95.9 FM) and online at railcatsbaseball.com. Ticket packages for the 2018 Gary SouthShore RailCats season are available online at railcatsbaseball.com and can also be purchased by calling the RailCats ticket line at (219) 882-BALL. The RailCats box office is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from September 1, 2018
- AirHogs Slip in Opener vs. Cleburne - Texas AirHogs
- Bernardino Shines, Goldeyes Top Saints 5-2 in Series Opener - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Saints Fall out of First with 5-2 Loss to Goldeyes - St. Paul Saints
- Wingnuts Stay Alive, Double up Explorers - Wichita Wingnuts
- Railroaders Take Game 1 Behind Stellar Sanchez - Cleburne Railroaders
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Dogs and Saltdogs Suspended in Rosemont, Will Resume Sunday - Chicago Dogs
- RedHawks Win Series Opener against Canaries - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Saltdogs Game Suspended, Doubleheader on Sunday - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Santiesteban's Two Blasts Push Gary to Fifth Straight Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Offensive Assault by Gary Leads to 9-1 T-Bones Loss - Kansas City T-Bones
- Wingnuts Celebrate Final Regular Season Series at Lawrence-Dumont - Wichita Wingnuts
- Wilson's Late Blast Lifts Dogs to Series Win over St. Paul - Chicago Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gary SouthShore Railcats Stories
- RailCats Season Pass Offers Unlimited Fun in All-New General Admission Seat
- RailCats End Season with First Home Sweep, Shutout Saltdogs, 3-0
- Lubking, De Jesus Lead 'Cats to 3-1 Victory over Saltdogs in Penultimate Game
- Griffin, Bullpen Blank Saltdogs,2-0, in Series Opener
- RailCats Swept by Goldeyes in Final Road Game of Season