Whitley Wonderful in Hooks 2-1 Win
CORPUS CHRISTI - Top Houston Astros pitching prospect Forrest Whitley was dominant Wednesday, firing 5.1 inning of one-hit ball to lead the Hooks to a 2-1 win over the Arkansas Travelers.
Whitley (W, 2-2) struck out eight batters, five of which were looking.
After retiring the first six Travelers, he walked the first three he faced to start the third inning. But he picked off Mike Ahmed and rebounded to get the final two outs of the frame.
He fanned five in a row over the fourth and fifth innings, getting all three looking in the fourth. He didn't allow a hit until a leadoff single by Logan Taylor to start the sixth. A walk to Jordan Cowan ended Whitley's night at 96 pitches (56 strikes).
Colton Shaver provided the Hooks offense for the win. After a J.J. Matijevic single, Shaver launched a two-run homer (14) off Ljay Newsome for a 2-0 lead in the fourth. It ended an 11-game homerless streak for Shaver and three such games without a long ball for the team.
Newsome (3-3) allowed three hits and a walk with six strikeouts in the loss.
Yohan Ramirez yielded just one run, one hit and two walks with three punchouts over 3.2 innings to earned his first Double-A save.
The Hooks eye a series split Thursday with lefty Brett Adcock (2-8, 6.91) up against Logan Gilbert (4-2, 2.17). The first 1,250 fans at Whataburger Field will receive a Max Stassi X-Wing Bobblehead.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from August 28, 2019
- Oviedo Tosses 7.1 Scoreless, Cards Top 'Riders 3-1 - Springfield Cardinals
- Hooks Top Travs in Close Shave - Arkansas Travelers
- Naturals Rally Stalls against RockHounds - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Taveras Tallies Three Hits Again in Loss to Cards - Frisco RoughRiders
- Whitley Wonderful in Hooks 2-1 Win - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Drillers Lose Home Run Battle to Amarillo - Tulsa Drillers
- Sod Poodles Walk-Off on Drillers in Wednesday's Home Run Showcase - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Lux and May Honored as Texas League Postseason All-Stars - Tulsa Drillers
- Abraham Toro Named Texas League Postseason All-Star - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Six Travs Selected as TL Postseason Stars - Arkansas Travelers
- Four Sod Poodles Named to 2019 Texas League Postseason All-Star Team - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Clase Named to Postseason All-Star Team - Frisco RoughRiders
- Texas League Announces Post Season All-Star Team - TL
- Playoff Tickets Now on Sale - Tulsa Drillers
- Hounds Bounce Back with Shutout Victory - Midland RockHounds
- O'Neill Homers in 2nd Rehab Start, Cardinals Fall 5-2 to RoughRiders - Springfield Cardinals
- Sod Poodles Battle Late, Fall in Game Two 8-4 to Drillers - Amarillo Sod Poodles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.