O'Neill Homers in 2nd Rehab Start, Cardinals Fall 5-2 to RoughRiders
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. - Rehabbing St. Louis Cardinals OF Tyler O'Neill connected on an eighth-inning home run but the Springfield Cardinals (28-36; 58-76) fell 5-2 to the Frisco RoughRiders (32-31; 65-67) on Tuesday night at Hammons Field.
W: RHP Richelson Pena (1-4)
L: RHP Angel Rondon (6-5)
S: RHP Demarcus Evans (6)
MOMENTS THAT MATTERED:
- RoughRiders 1B Juremi Profar pushed a 2-1 Frisco lead to 4-1 with a two-run double in the seventh, scoring 2B Ryan Dorow and CF Leody Taveras.
- Profar snapped a 0-0 tie in the third with an RBI single that drove in Dorow. That lead expanded to 2-0 in the fifth when Profar delivered once again, this time on a sacrifice fly.
- O'Neill's second home run with Springfield this season and first during this week's rehab stint came in the eighth inning--a solo shot deposited into the visitors bullpen that made the score 5-2 RoughRiders.
- 3B Elehuris Montero brought Springfield within 2-1 with an RBI single in the sixth that scored O'Neill.
- Rondon took the loss but continued his impressive first season in Double-A, allowing two runs on four hits and two walks over 6.0 innings, striking out seven and lowering his season ERA to 3.21 through 19 starts.
- O'Neill finished the night 2-for-4 with two runs, the home run and an RBI.
- Rehabbing St. Louis Cardinals OF Jose Martinez DH'd for the second straight game, singling and walking twice on Tuesday.
- Montero was 2-for-4 with an RBI.
WHAT'S ON DECK:
-The Cardinals and RoughRiders continue their series Wednesday night with first pitch scheduled for 6:30 p.m. and gates opening at 5:30 p.m.
Wednesday is our final Purina Woof Wednesday of the season. Dogs and their owners should enter the ballpark through Gate 3.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from August 28, 2019
- Oviedo Tosses 7.1 Scoreless, Cards Top 'Riders 3-1 - Springfield Cardinals
- Hooks Top Travs in Close Shave - Arkansas Travelers
- Naturals Rally Stalls against RockHounds - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Taveras Tallies Three Hits Again in Loss to Cards - Frisco RoughRiders
- Whitley Wonderful in Hooks 2-1 Win - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Drillers Lose Home Run Battle to Amarillo - Tulsa Drillers
- Sod Poodles Walk-Off on Drillers in Wednesday's Home Run Showcase - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Lux and May Honored as Texas League Postseason All-Stars - Tulsa Drillers
- Abraham Toro Named Texas League Postseason All-Star - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Six Travs Selected as TL Postseason Stars - Arkansas Travelers
- Four Sod Poodles Named to 2019 Texas League Postseason All-Star Team - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Clase Named to Postseason All-Star Team - Frisco RoughRiders
- Texas League Announces Post Season All-Star Team - TL
- Playoff Tickets Now on Sale - Tulsa Drillers
- Hounds Bounce Back with Shutout Victory - Midland RockHounds
- O'Neill Homers in 2nd Rehab Start, Cardinals Fall 5-2 to RoughRiders - Springfield Cardinals
- Sod Poodles Battle Late, Fall in Game Two 8-4 to Drillers - Amarillo Sod Poodles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Springfield Cardinals Stories
- Elf on the Shelf Ornaments Have Arrived
- Time Running out to See Ozzie Smith at Dinner on the Diamond
- Hammons Field Wins Texas League Field of the Year for 9th-Straight Season
- Cardinals Fall 11-6 to RockHounds in Season Finale
- Cardinals Downed by RockHounds, Season Closes on Monday Afternoon