Abraham Toro Named Texas League Postseason All-Star
CORPUS CHRISTI - Houston Astros and former Hooks third baseman Abraham Toro has been named to the Texas League Postseason All-Star Team, the league office announced Wednesday, as voted on by league field staffs and local media.
In 98 games with the Hooks this season, Toro batted .306 (115-for-376) with 22 doubles, four triples, 16 home runs, 70 RBIs, 65 runs scored and four steals with a .393 on-base percentage and .906 OPS.
Despite his promotion to Triple-A Round Rock nearly one month ago, on August 1, Toro still ranks among Texas League leaders in OPS (1st), batting average (2nd), on-base percentage (2nd), slugging percentage (2nd, .513), extra-base hits (5th, 42), RBIs (5th), homers (6th), total bases (7th, 193) and walks (T-8th, 48) as of August 28.
The Greenfield Park, Quebec native was also tabbed a 2019 Texas League Midseason All-Star, starting at third base in the clean-up spot for the South Division, going 0-for-4 with a walk with 2 runs scored in the contest in Tulsa.
He earned Texas League Player of the Week for May 6-12, batting .381 (8-for-21) with a double, two homers, three runs, eight RBIs and six walks with a 1.233 OPS in six games that week.
The 22-year-old, who began the season rated Houston's No. 23 prospect by MLB.com but has since jumped to No. 6 in the system, tore up Triple-A pitching at a .424 clip (28-for-66) with nine doubles, a homer, 10 RBIs, 10 walks and a .506 on-base percentage in 16 games.
A fifth-round pick by Houston in the 2016 draft out of Seminole State College in Oklahoma, he received his first major-league call-up to the Astros on August 22, making the start at third base that night at Minute Maid Park against Detroit. Through five games, he's batting .211 (4-for-19) with an RBI.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from August 28, 2019
- Oviedo Tosses 7.1 Scoreless, Cards Top 'Riders 3-1 - Springfield Cardinals
- Hooks Top Travs in Close Shave - Arkansas Travelers
- Naturals Rally Stalls against RockHounds - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Taveras Tallies Three Hits Again in Loss to Cards - Frisco RoughRiders
- Whitley Wonderful in Hooks 2-1 Win - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Drillers Lose Home Run Battle to Amarillo - Tulsa Drillers
- Sod Poodles Walk-Off on Drillers in Wednesday's Home Run Showcase - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Lux and May Honored as Texas League Postseason All-Stars - Tulsa Drillers
- Abraham Toro Named Texas League Postseason All-Star - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Six Travs Selected as TL Postseason Stars - Arkansas Travelers
- Four Sod Poodles Named to 2019 Texas League Postseason All-Star Team - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Clase Named to Postseason All-Star Team - Frisco RoughRiders
- Texas League Announces Post Season All-Star Team - TL
- Playoff Tickets Now on Sale - Tulsa Drillers
- Hounds Bounce Back with Shutout Victory - Midland RockHounds
- O'Neill Homers in 2nd Rehab Start, Cardinals Fall 5-2 to RoughRiders - Springfield Cardinals
- Sod Poodles Battle Late, Fall in Game Two 8-4 to Drillers - Amarillo Sod Poodles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi Hooks Stories
- Astros World Series Gear Now Available at Whataburger Field
- Details for Little Joe's Birthday Bash: Tex Mex Fest this Saturday
- Public Invited to Halloween with the Hooks on October 24
- Top 10 Hooks Moments of 2019
- Brady Ballard Named Assistant General Manager of Corpus Christi Hooks