Wheeling Rides Strong Third Period to Win over Fuel
WHEELING, W.V. - The Indy Fuel (30-30-2-2) played a tough game against the Wheeling Nailers (29-28-6-2) but ended up on the wrong side of a 5-2 final score Friday night at WesBanco Arena. With the win, Wheeling gained sole possession of fifth place in the ECHL's Central Division, pulling two points ahead of the Fuel.
Wheeling opened the scoring with first period goals from Renars Krastenbergs and Yushiroh Hirano. With under a minute left in the opening frame, Fuel forward Olivier Labelle capitalized on a power play to cut the Nailers lead in half.
After a quiet second period, Travis Brown helped the Fuel tie the game early in the final frame with his eighth power play goal of the season. From that point forward, Wheeling took control of the scoring. The Nailers scored three goals in the final twelve minutes of the game, including a pair of power play goals.
In a game marked by special teams play, both teams finished with two goals on the man advantage. Indy finished 2-for-7 on the power play, while the Nailers tallied twice on five chances.
Goaltender Matt Tomkins saved 26 of the 30 shots that came his way while suffering the loss. Wheeling's Jordan Ruby made 25 saves to register the victory.
In the shots on goal category, Wheeling finished with a 31-27 edge.
Single-game tickets are now on sale for the Fuel's 5th anniversary season at Indiana Farmers Coliseum! Lock up your seat for every second of the action at Indiana Farmers Coliseum with a Fuel Ticket Plan - grab yours by heading to IndyFuelHockey.com or by calling the Fuel front office at 317-925-FUEL. Don't forget to follow the Fuel on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat (IndyFuel) for news, updates, contests and much more throughout the 2018-19 season.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 22, 2019
- Wheeling Rides Strong Third Period to Win over Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Rays Take Down KC for Third Straight Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Royals Burn Growlers at Santander Arena in Weekend Opener, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- Duffy's Hat Trick Surges Norfolk Past Jacksonville - Norfolk Admirals
- Durocher's Hat Trick Not Enough in Mavericks 5-3 Loss at South Carolina - Kansas City Mavericks
- Greg Chase Caps Two Goal Game with OT Winner in Worcester - Maine Mariners
- Railers Grab a Point But Really Wanted Two in 2-1 Overtime Loss to Mariners - Worcester Railers HC
- Despite Loss to Royals, Growlers Clinch Playoff Berth - Newfoundland Growlers
- Third Period Surge Lifts Nailers Past Indy, 5-2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Komets Ink Trio to Roster; Host Cyclones Tonight - Fort Wayne Komets
- Reid Petryk Loaned to AHL Chicago Wolves - Idaho Steelheads
- 'Blades Sign Forward Slater Doggett - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - March 22 - ECHL
- K-Wings Ink WMU's McMullen - Kalamazoo Wings
- Gladiators Re-Sign D-Man Sean Campbell - Atlanta Gladiators
- Oilers Receive Dostie and Forney from San Diego - Tulsa Oilers
- Lightning Reassign Ingram to Crunch - Orlando Solar Bears
- Nailers vs. Fuel Game Day Snap Shot, March 22 - Wheeling Nailers
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Ft. Wayne Komets - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Melancon Recalled by Laval - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Host Growlers Friday with $1 Draft Beers, Pres. by Deibler Dental - Reading Royals
- Windsor Leads Solar Bears to Win over Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.