Royals Burn Growlers at Santander Arena in Weekend Opener, 5-2
Reading, PA - Deibler Dental First Star Adam Schmidt scored two goals and the Reading Royals smacked the Newfoundland Growlers, 5-2, Friday at Santander Arena. Forward Josh MacDonald, the game's second star, netted one goal and one assist in his 200th-career ECHL game.
The Royals started the game fast and took a 3-0 lead into first intermission. In the opening five minutes, Schmidt netted a goal on Reading's second shot and the Royals killed the Growlers' first power play. Reading scored two power-play goals on five chances and allowed one Growlers man-up tally on four opportunities.
Jamie Phillips earned his second Royals win and blocked 21 of 23 shots for the Royals. Michael Garteig stopped 32 of 37 shots for the Growlers in defeat.
The Royals continue the three-in-three Saturday at 7:05 p.m. on The Anthony Myers Movement Night against the Growlers.
Schmidt received a slot feed from Corey Mackin before backhanding the puck past Garteig giving Reading the edge at 2:18 into the first. After adding a second goal in the middle period, Schmidt has a career-high 22 goals this season.
Garteig surrendered a juicy rebound at 11:36 of the first period on a Micahel Huntebrinker shot Alex Roos dunked home the goal to provide the Royals a 2-0 advantage.
MacDonald scored his 25th goal of the season on a 5-on-4 power play. Matt Pohlkamp snuck a pass from below the Growlers' goal line to MacDonald as he swept in from the right dot to put it past Garteig to give the Royals a 3-0 lead (16:02).
Josh Kestner scored the Growlers' first goal at 1:55 of the second period on a deke and slot rip over the glove.
Schmidt answered with a power-play goal, his 22nd of the season, six minutes later. MacDonald fed the puck to Chris McCarthy (2a) from the top right side to the edge of the left circle. McCarthy slid it to Schmidt through Growler traffic and Schmidt put it in from the right side of crease.
The second period ended with Garrett Johnston notching the Growlers' second goal which was also his second goal of the season. Reading took a two-goal advantage, 4-2, into the third period after Johnston's goal with 2:30 to go in the second.
With 5:35 remaining, Brayden Low sniped a shot from the right goal line short-side finding the back of the net over Garteig's shoulder and re-extending the advantage to 5-2. Low was nearly parallel to the net on the far side of the right circle. He took the shot off a pass from Frank DiChiara as he came from behind the net.
Next Home Games
Sat., Mar. 23 The Anthony Myers Movement Night and American Cancer Society Night: 7:00 p.m. vs. Newfoundland
- 3rd Night honoring the American Cancer Society with specialty jerseys
- Enter for a chance to win a 2017 Toyota Camry, courtesy of AutoRide of Reading
Sun., Mar. 24 Scout Night: 4:00 p.m. vs. Worcester
- Scout Night at the Royals
- Pregame Scout activities 1:30 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 22, 2019
- Wheeling Rides Strong Third Period to Win over Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Rays Take Down KC for Third Straight Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Royals Burn Growlers at Santander Arena in Weekend Opener, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- Duffy's Hat Trick Surges Norfolk Past Jacksonville - Norfolk Admirals
- Durocher's Hat Trick Not Enough in Mavericks 5-3 Loss at South Carolina - Kansas City Mavericks
- Greg Chase Caps Two Goal Game with OT Winner in Worcester - Maine Mariners
- Railers Grab a Point But Really Wanted Two in 2-1 Overtime Loss to Mariners - Worcester Railers HC
- Despite Loss to Royals, Growlers Clinch Playoff Berth - Newfoundland Growlers
- Third Period Surge Lifts Nailers Past Indy, 5-2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Komets Ink Trio to Roster; Host Cyclones Tonight - Fort Wayne Komets
- Reid Petryk Loaned to AHL Chicago Wolves - Idaho Steelheads
- 'Blades Sign Forward Slater Doggett - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - March 22 - ECHL
- K-Wings Ink WMU's McMullen - Kalamazoo Wings
- Gladiators Re-Sign D-Man Sean Campbell - Atlanta Gladiators
- Oilers Receive Dostie and Forney from San Diego - Tulsa Oilers
- Lightning Reassign Ingram to Crunch - Orlando Solar Bears
- Nailers vs. Fuel Game Day Snap Shot, March 22 - Wheeling Nailers
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Ft. Wayne Komets - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Melancon Recalled by Laval - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Host Growlers Friday with $1 Draft Beers, Pres. by Deibler Dental - Reading Royals
- Windsor Leads Solar Bears to Win over Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reading Royals Stories
- Royals' First-Ever Education Day Game January 7 at 10:30 a.m.
- Ginder Named Royals' Business Development Manager
- Royals Extend Head Coach Kirk MacDonald's Contract
- Chris Powell Joins Royals as Dir. of Corporate Sales and Sponsorships
- Royals' MacDonald Named ECHL Equipment Manager of the Year