Despite Loss to Royals, Growlers Clinch Playoff Berth
The Growlers stumbled out of the game and couldn't recover as they would fall to the Royals 5-2 Friday night.
Reading scored three straight goals in the first period of play as Schmidt, Roos and MacDonald got their names on the scoresheet. The Royals took a 3-0 lead into the locker room to finish the first period.
Newfoundland responded in the second period as Josh Kestner scored, extending his scoring point streak to eight games. His shot beat Royals goalie Jamie Philips over the blocker.
Adam Schmidt scored his second of the game 7 minutes after the Kestner goal but Garrett Johnston added a powerplay tally late in the second to close out the period as the Royals entered the dressing room still up by two goals, 4-2.
Newfoundland could not find the net in the third period but Brayden Low slipped the puck behind Growlers goalie Michael Gartieg for the final goal of the game to seal the deal 5-2 for the Royals.
Despite the loss, with a Maine Mariners win over the Worcester Railers, the Newfoundland Growlers have clinched a birth in the Kelly Cup Playoffs.
Josh Kestner is on a eight-game point streak
The three stars were 3 - G. Johnston (NFL), 2 - M. Garteig (NFL) and 1 - B. Ferguson (NFL)
The Newfoundland Growlers continue their six-game road trip Friday in Reading versus the Royals, puck drop is 8:30 NST. Catch all the action with play-by-play broadcaster Chris Ballard at mixlr.com/nlgrowlers.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 22, 2019
- Wheeling Rides Strong Third Period to Win over Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Rays Take Down KC for Third Straight Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Royals Burn Growlers at Santander Arena in Weekend Opener, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- Duffy's Hat Trick Surges Norfolk Past Jacksonville - Norfolk Admirals
- Durocher's Hat Trick Not Enough in Mavericks 5-3 Loss at South Carolina - Kansas City Mavericks
- Greg Chase Caps Two Goal Game with OT Winner in Worcester - Maine Mariners
- Railers Grab a Point But Really Wanted Two in 2-1 Overtime Loss to Mariners - Worcester Railers HC
- Despite Loss to Royals, Growlers Clinch Playoff Berth - Newfoundland Growlers
- Third Period Surge Lifts Nailers Past Indy, 5-2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Komets Ink Trio to Roster; Host Cyclones Tonight - Fort Wayne Komets
- Reid Petryk Loaned to AHL Chicago Wolves - Idaho Steelheads
- 'Blades Sign Forward Slater Doggett - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - March 22 - ECHL
- K-Wings Ink WMU's McMullen - Kalamazoo Wings
- Gladiators Re-Sign D-Man Sean Campbell - Atlanta Gladiators
- Oilers Receive Dostie and Forney from San Diego - Tulsa Oilers
- Lightning Reassign Ingram to Crunch - Orlando Solar Bears
- Nailers vs. Fuel Game Day Snap Shot, March 22 - Wheeling Nailers
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Ft. Wayne Komets - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Melancon Recalled by Laval - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Host Growlers Friday with $1 Draft Beers, Pres. by Deibler Dental - Reading Royals
- Windsor Leads Solar Bears to Win over Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.