Weekly: Penguins Hit the Road for Six-Game Road Trip
Wednesday, Jan. 8 - PENGUINS 3 vs. Charlotte 6
Anthony Angello and Adam Johnson both delivered a goal and an assist for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, but three unanswered strikes by Charlotte proved to be the difference.
Friday, Jan. 10 - PENGUINS 1 vs. Hershey 2 (SO)
Despite suppressing the Bears' offense all night, the Penguins lost to Hershey in the sixth round of a shootout. The Pens out-shot the Bears, 30-15, in regulation, and limited Hershey to three shots in the third period.
Saturday, Jan. 11 - PENGUINS 3 vs. Hartford 0
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton shut-out the East's top team in front of a raucous home crowd. Kevin Roy's first goal as a Penguin opened the scoring late in the middle frame, and empty-netters from David Warsofsky and Anthony Angello steered the Penguins to victory. Casey DeSmith made 25 saves.
The Week Ahead
Wednesday, Jan. 15 - PENGUINS at Texas
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton visits the Texas Stars for the first time in franchise history. Back in December, the Stars came to Northeast PA and took a two-game set from the Pens. After starting the year 3-13-0-2, Texas is 14-4-2-0 in its last 20 games.
Friday, Jan. 17 - PENGUINS at Texas
The Penguins and Stars go at it again at H-E-B Center, their final matchup of 2019-20. In their previous two showdowns, the Pens' power play had success against Texas, going 33.3%.
Saturday, Jan. 18 - PENGUINS at San Antonio
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton takes its road trip rodeo down the road to San Antonio, and will play against a Rampage team that it split two games against in October. San Antonio has allowed four goals or more in each of its last six games.
- With two goals last week, Anthony Angello now leads the Penguins with 15 tallies on the year.
- Angello's 15 goals are also tied for third-most among second-year AHLers.
- Angello has 11 points (6G-5A) in his last eight games.
- With his shutout on Saturday, Casey DeSmith moved into sole possession of eighth place among the Penguins' all-time shutout leaders (6).
- Wednesday will be Wilkes-Barre/Scranton's first road game since Dec. 28 (2-1, W @HER).
TEAM GP W L OTL SOL PTS Pts%
1. Hartford 39 23 9 2 5 53 .679
2. Hershey 39 23 11 2 3 51 .654
3. Providence 40 22 15 1 2 47 .588
4. Springfield 41 21 18 2 0 44 .537
5. PENGUINS 39 18 15 3 3 42 .538
6. Charlotte 36 19 14 3 0 41 .569
7. Lehigh Valley 39 15 19 1 4 35 .449
8. Bridgeport 41 14 22 4 1 33 .402
SKATERS GP G A PTS
Andrew Agozzino^ 35 14 17 31
Sam Miletic 38 8 18 26
Anthony Angello 39 15 7 22
Stefan Noesen X 22 14 8 22
Adam Johnson 24 5 15 20
GOALIES GP W-L-OT GAA SV% Shutouts
Dustin Tokarski 12 6-3-2 1.57 .939 1
Casey DeSmith 26 11-10-2 2.91 .904 3
* = rookie
^ = currently with Pittsburgh
X = no longer in organization
UPCOMING GAME SCHEDULE
DATE OPPONENT LOCATION TIME
Wed, Jan. 15 Texas H-E-B Center 8:00 p.m.
Fri, Jan. 17 Texas H-E-B Center 8:00 p.m.
Sat, Jan. 18 San Antonio AT&T Center 8:00 p.m.
Fri, Jan. 10 (C) Christopher Brown Recalled from WHL
Tue, Jan. 14 (C) Joseph Blandisi Reassigned by PIT
Tue, Jan. 14 (G) Emil Larmi Reassigned by PIT from WHL
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 14, 2020
- Admirals Get Third Straight Win over Hogs - Milwaukee Admirals
- Checkers Beat Bears 4-1 in Front of Sold-Out Crowd - Charlotte Checkers
- Bears Drop 4-1 Decision in Charlotte - Hershey Bears
- Manitoba Moose Weekly: January 14 - Manitoba Moose
- Weekly: Penguins Hit the Road for Six-Game Road Trip - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Stars Return Forward Anthony Nellis to Steelheads - Texas Stars
- Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- Wolf Pack Assign Jeff Taylor to Maine - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Moose Announce Two Roster Moves - Manitoba Moose
- Sens Sit in First Place at Mid-Point of Season - Belleville Senators
- Syracuse Crunch Loan Goaltender Zach Fucale to Orlando Solar Bears - Syracuse Crunch
- Homestand Continues for Griffins against IceHogs and Senators - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Englund Clears Waivers as He Rejoins Belleville - Belleville Senators
- #BellLetsTalk Night January 25th - Belleville Senators
- Phantoms Power Play - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Emil Larmi Reassigned to Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Rangers Assign Libor Hajek to Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Game Preview: Bears at Checkers, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- The Bridgeport Report: Week 15 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Belleville Tops Moose, 5-3 - Manitoba Moose
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Stories
- Penguins Use More Bellerive Heroics for Overtime Win
- Weekly: Penguins Continue to Accumulate Points Before All-Star Break
- Bellerive's Big Night Earns Penguins 4-3 Shootout Win
- Penguins Fight Back, But Lose in Shootout to Stars
- Penguins Stalled by Stars, 5-2