Walleye Make Triumphant Return to Fort Wayne
FORT WAYNE, Ind. - The Toledo Walleye continued their perfect start to the 2019-20 campaign, as they notched three second-period goals en route to a 5-3 victory over the Fort Wayne Komets on Saturday at the Memorial Coliseum.
Abbott Girduckis recorded a power play goal and an assist for the Walleye (2-0-0-0) in their first trip to Fort Wayne (2-1-0-0) since winning the 2019 Central Division Semifinals, while Shane Berschbach logged an even-strength goal and a helper. Pat Nagle recorded a season-high 39 saves, while Cole Kehler turned away 27-of-32 shots in a losing effort.
The Komets needed all of 62 seconds to break the deadlock, as Brady Shaw eased his way toward the Toledo net and maneuvered past Nagle's pokecheck attempt before guiding the puck into an open goal.
The Walleye also found the net on their first shot on target. Brenden Kotyk took a drop pass from Brett Boeing at the top of the right circle and ripped a wrist shot through traffic that sailed past Kehler's blocker at the 2:08 mark.
Fort Wayne recaptured the lead just over five minutes into the first frame. Mason Bergh sent a rinkwide pass to Shawn Szydlowski, who lifted a wrist shot from the right circle into the top left corner to make it a 2-1 contest.
After scoring the deciding goal in Toledo's season opener at Brampton, Alex Kromm knotted the score at two apiece at the 7:22 mark of the middle stanza. Boeing's effort from the left circle was turned aside by Kehler's left pad, but Kromm was well-positioned to bury the rebound for his second goal in as many games.
The Walleye then jumped ahead later in the frame with a pair of goals in a 1:26 span. Berschbach tallied his first goal of the campaign at the 12:10 mark to put the visitors in front, before Girduckis doubled Toledo's lead when he slammed home a power play marker at 13:36.
Fort Wayne eventually cut the margin to 4-3 when Matthew Boudens controlled the puck in the high slot, before turning around and wiring a sharp wrist shot inside the left post with 4:45 left in the second.
The Walleye restored their two-goal cushion with another power play marker in the final frame. Sixteen seconds into a Bergh elbowing minor, Branden Troock tallied his second goal of the season to extend the lead to 5-3 with 9:38 remaining.
In all, Toledo finished 2-for-7 on the power play, while Fort Wayne scored on 1-of-6 opportunities.
The Walleye continue their five-game road trip with a trip to the Show Me State to face the Kansas City Mavericks on Friday and Saturday. Both games will start at 8 p.m. EDT.
1. Toledo - Abbott Girduckis (power play goal, assist)
2. Toledo - Shane Berschbach (goal, assist)
3. Toledo - T.J. Hensick (two assists)
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 20, 2019
- Kallgren Earns First ECHL Win as Rush Sweep Tulsa - Rapid City Rush
- Oilers Close Weekend with Loss - Tulsa Oilers
- Nailers Edge Fuel in Last Minute Win - Indy Fuel
- Nailers Get More Last Minute Magic in 4-3 Win - Wheeling Nailers
- DiChiara Scores Game-Winning Goal in Wild 3rd to Spike Mariners, 5-4 - Reading Royals
- Blown Leads Doom Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mariners Rally from Three Goals Down But Run out of Gas in Reading - Maine Mariners
- Atlanta Tallies Second Straight Win over Swamp Rabbits - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Transactions - October 20 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Americans Beat Utah in Overtime to Earn Weekend Split - Allen Americans
- Royals and Mariners Tangle Sunday at 4:00 p.m. - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Lose 5-4 in Overtime in Allen - Utah Grizzlies
- Oilers Drop Fourth Straight - Tulsa Oilers
- Walleye Make Triumphant Return to Fort Wayne - Toledo Walleye
- Steelheads Net Four-Unanswered, Stay Unbeaten in 5-2 Win over Thunder - Idaho Steelheads
- Three Second Period Goals Propel Florida to a 4-2 Win over Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Parks Earns First ECHL Shutout in 5-0 Rush Win - Rapid City Rush
- Utah Grabs Early Lead and Cruises to 10-4 Win - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Toledo Walleye Stories
- Berschbach Reaches Century Mark as Walleye Defeat Beast
- Late Rally Not Enough as Walleye Fall to Adirondack
- Walleye Weekly: Bring Your Teddy to the Game
- Walleye Score Four Times in Second Period, Hold off Nailers
- Vela Nets First Professional Hat Trick as Walleye Topple Royals